37

Osa held the letter in his hand. He should have asked Josephine to call and deliver the letter to Chioma but this was something he felt that he needed to do by himself. He knocked on the door again. Why didn't he think about calling ahead to inform her of his visit. What if she wasn't in her room?

"Who is it?" Chioma answered, swinging the door open.

"Hi."

Her smile fell as she propped her hands on her hips. He tried to focus on the silk night dress sliding across her left hip to bunch underneath her clenched fist.

"I... I want to-" He stuttered.

He pushed the envelope towards her and tried to focus on her face and the neat plait on her head but his eyes drifted to her nipples, that pointed outward, to the black biker shorts that defined her hips. This was the Chioma he knew and dated.

He forced his eyes to remain on her face, noting that he wasn't sexually moved by what he saw. How could he be when he didn't know his fate? He had to return to the hospital to continue the tests after work.

"What's that?"

"Just open it."

He would have loved to walk down the hallway and out of the hotel while she read the letter but he stayed. She took her time to receive the letter and open it.

He watched her eyes narrow and then light up as she screamed, "Oh my god. Oh my god!"

She leaped into the air and somehow he caught her just before she tried to latch her lips unto his. He felt fear pass through her like electricity through wire. His hands fell from under her buttocks and she fell to the ground. Her head hit the door post before her body reached the floor.

"I'm so sorry." He bent down and too her hand, lifting her to her feet.

"I should be the one apologizing." She let out a shaky breath, laughing nervously as she chewed on the corner of her lips. A gesture that he used to find seductive but which he now disliked. "I didn't mean to kiss you. I was just so-"

"Excited. Yes, I can see that." He tried to sound as excited as she was but he couldn't fake it. He lifted his wrist and stared at the time on his wrist watch. Kemi would be home soon and he wanted to be home before she arrived.

"You don't sound happy for me."

"Honestly, I didn't want to give you this job. I don't want to work with you-"

"I have changed."

He put up a palm to silence her. "-it's not because you dumped me or because I don't trust you. You're not the most honest person I know and you also have a bad track record when it comes to handling money. This is a financial institution. You would be dealing with people's money. You need to be honest "

Tears watered her eyes. "You don't believe that I've changed. Even after all that I've told you."

"I believe you. I just don't trust you."

There was a loud sound followed by a stinging sensation on his cheek. Fire blazed in the depths of her eyes as she stared at him. "I'm not sure I want to work with you either. If you don't trust me, why should I work with you? Have you forgotten all the things we've done together? If you could change, why can't I?"

"That's not how I meant it."

"Forget it." She sucked in a sob and threw the letter at his face. "Keep your job. I don't want to work with someone who doesn't trust me. I've tried that already."

She slammed the door in his face.

He leaned towards the door, yelling, "Well, this is your chance to redeem yourself. You start work by 8:00 am sharp tomorrow. Don't let me regret this."