44: Tell me why

Kemi drove to the bus stop and sure enough Ijeoma stood at there. She drew in a deep breath as she brought the car to a stop. She honked. Ijeoma leaned down and peered into the car.

"He's not here."

"You can never be too sure." Ijeoma entered the car and strapped the seat belt around her busty chest.

Kemi put the car on drive and a small smile played on her lips. "So..."

"So what?" Ijeoma pulled a plate from her bag and opened it. The smell of ofada rice and sauce filled the air.

Kemi wrinkled her nose. "You know I don't like people eating in my car."

"I'm sorry." Ijeoma smiled, digging a spoon into the food. "I haven't had anything to eat since last night."

"Don't tell me you spent last night cooking this."

"This morning. If I don't cook it, there would be nothing to eat."

"I don't understand. How old is Tobe that she can't cook? Even Ifeanyi."

"Does Osa cook for himself?"

"No." Kemi shook her head.

"So, what's wrong with the fact that Ifeanyi can't cook?"

Kemi shook her head. Osa was a busy man. Last night, he'd arrived home sometime around 9pm and he'd left the house by 4. "Nothing but cooking is a survival skill. Osa can cook. He just doesn't."

"Same with Ifeanyi."

"No need to get defensive. I'm just saying that your family members act too dependent. Can't they make their food by themselves?"

"Who will cook for them? My mother that is bedridden? Or maybe Tobe who is so sure that she will start her fashion store now? Ifeanyi is out of it. He's trying to buy a new bus."

"Na so." Kemi rolled her eyes. But she'd had found the killing point with which she would hold Ijeoma down. "Have you thought about the promotion?"

"Yes." Ijeoma smiled.

"And..."

"Maybe I would take it."

Kemi's heart flew to her throat. "I thought you didn't want it."

"I still don't but I talked it over with my mom and Ifeanyi and they decided that it is worth a shot."

"I don't understand. Yesterday, you were so adamant about not taking the job. What changed Ijeoma?"

"Nothing. I took the decision that was best for my family."

"But is it best for you?"

Ijeoma paused mid-chew. "I don't understand."

Kemi stomped on the accelerator and the car moved faster. "Your excuse yesterday was that you wanted to refuse the job so you could take care of your mother. Has your mother suddenly become well?"

"No. But we talked about it. And my uncles-"

"Of course." Kemi slapped the steering wheel. "Those lazy old men would have something to do with this. Why do you want them to use you like this?"

"I thought you wanted me to get the job?"

"I do but I always want the best for my friend. So, what will happen to your father's house after you work. Will they return it? And your mother? Who would take care of her, like you said."

"We agreed to have a nurse come by. I already spoke to one-"

"And who will watch the nurse? This is your mother IJ. Nobody would be able to take care of her like you. What if something happens? Would Ifeanyi and Tobe step up? How would you reach them from far away. I just want you to think thoroughly before you make a decision."