18: Bisola's questions

"Aunty kemi." Kemi smiled as a young dark girl with thick black hair bounded in and threw her little hands around Kemi's waist. She smiled and hugged the girl's slender frame to her body. Her niece had grown much taller and beautiful since the last time that she had seen her.

"Ahan. Kemi. Why didn't you tell me that you were coming?" A tall woman bearing a striking resemblance to the young girl walked to the door post bearing a surprised smile on her supple cheeks. Her wide hips were encased in a free flowing gown that failed to hide her womanly curves. Her hair was packed in a pony tail that boasted of too many sturborn strands.

"Sister mi, Eku ile oh." Kemi genuflected before her sister but the woman held her arms and pulled her to her feet. "It was suppoused to be a surprise na."

"Well, I am surprised. How are you? Where is Osa?" Kemi forced a smile on her face to avoid her feelings giving her away. Osa would not ruin the rest of the day for her. She was here to visit her family and she was going to be happy for them.

"He had to travel this week for a businesss meeting." It wasn't a lie, kemi decided. He had left her in the hotel for work. She couldn't wait for him to return to the hotel and find out that she had gone. He deserved to find an empty room.

"Kemi?" Her sister's distinct and clear voice pulled her out of her thoughts.

"Yes Adesuwa?"

"You're just staring at me as if I stole your rib. Is everything okay?"

"Everything is just perfect." Kemi smiled again. She couldn't exactly bother her sister with the tales of her life problems. She knew Adesuwa would ask her to return to Osa and apologise. That was the last thing she wanted to do. He was the one who ought to apologise ror raising her emotions and then  dashing them like it meant nothing to him.

Adesuwa seemed to believe Kemi because she spun in her daughter's direction and frowned. "Bisola, what is wrong with you? Won't you carry aunty Kemi's bag inside?"

Kemi let Bisola have her box and she watched the girl struggle to drag the box into the house. Then she remebered why it had been so heavy. Osa's things were still inside. What if he went to the hotel first instead of going home? She didn't want to think about him so she buried her thoughts about him with another smile in Adesuwa's direction. Adesuwa's head was turned to the back of Bisola's head.  Watching the mother smile at her daughter, Kemi couldn't help but wonder how her sister had been brave enough to go through with Bisola's birth. She felt an uneasy feeling settle in the pit of her stomach. Her heart clenched as she thought of what it would be like to carry Osa's child. For a brief moment she didn't encounter her usual terror. Rather, she felt that she was missing something. Something that Adesuwa had with Bisola.

"This your box is big oh. How long will you be here?" Adesuwa ushered her into the house and shut the the door behind her."

"For awhile," Kemi replied before adding. "I miss you so much."

###

"Kemi," Adesuwa called from the kitchen. Kemi tried not to groan as she pulled her body out of the couch to stand on her feet. Even though she was grown up and she now had a niece, her sister still felt the need to order her around. That was another reason why she wasn't keen o n staying in Adesuwa's house. "Please, come and help me set the table."

"Where is Bisola? Can't she do that? My eyes still hurt." kemi rubbed her eyes that basked in the pain that accompanied slicing onions. She walked into the kitchen and watched her sister stir a simmering ewedu soup. "This food looks good to my eyes oh."

"Lazy girl. Come and cook you refused but you can see the food to eat abi?" Adesuwa teased. "Abegi joor. Where is Bisola?"

"She's- I can't find her." Kemi replied.