35: Taking Steps

"But if Mrs. Afolabi didn't get the promotion, then who did?" Kemi asked. She was aware that there was supposed to be a promotion. It had been announced on the official group chat.

"We don't know yet." Kehinde said over her food.

Kemi was surprised that Kehinde, the office gossip, couldn't tell who had got the promotion. She turned on her computer to begin her job of compiling names of people who were owing service dues in the company estates.

"Abi, it is someone from another unit?" Kehinde said.

"No they clearly stated it was someone from this unit." Husseini replied.

Kemi wished, for a brief moment, that it would be her. It would be a big step further in her career. She could finally leave the behind-the-screen desk job and go out as an agent on the field. A lot of agents she knew preferred the desk job because it was a safer job. But the field job paid more, gave her a larger clientele base and had a commission bonus. She was due for promotion. She had worked here for over three years and only refused her last promotion because she wanted to focus on getting her master's degree.

She busied herself with stacking all the files on her desk to one corner. She could only imagine Osa telling her that she had to organise her work table so that she would be more efficient. She rolled her eyes. That was coming from the same man that expected her to wash his clothes, cook for him and take care of him.

Did he realize that he was, in so many ways, like a child? Did he expect that he would have the free will to live his life however he wanted, and just leave her to take care of his children? Just like his mother had done too. She had dreams and things she hoped to achieve.

She hoped that now that he and mama were not on speaking terms, he would not ask her to bear him children. But she was afraid that this was exactly what he would ask. Anytime he was being unreasonably romantic, he either wanted something or he wanted to make up for something. As far as she was concerned, they had patched up all their differences.

"Humph."

Kemi raised her head at the sound. She looked towards the door where the sound had come from.  Mrs Afolabi glared at her. The woman was dressed in  her trademark Ankara gown, stylish head wrap, a pair of large dropping earrings, bold red lipstick and rolls of fat in all places.

"Good morning ma."  Husseini, Kehinde and Kemi chorused.

Mrs. Afolabi's eyes scanned the area above their heads as though she couldn't be bothered about their existence. "Keep your good morning to yourselves. Where is miss Kenechukwu?"

"Ermm.." Kemi started, sharing a concerned look with Husseini. "She is on her way."

"At this time?" Mrs. Afolabi screeched. "Kilonshe omo yi?"    

"I'm sure she has a genuine reason-"       

"I don't want to hear it."

"-for coming late."

Mrs Afolabi smirked. Kemi kept her eyes averted from that of the woman. Ansmirk from Mrs. Afolabi was not a good thing. "Whenever she decides to arrive, direct her to my office."

"But ma." Husseini took a step forward. "It looks like it is about to rain. Won't you give her some grace?"

"If you want to keep you job, you will not say a single word on her behalf." Mrs. Afolabi shot Husseini a glowering look before walking away.

"That Ijeoma sef, she knows Mrs. Afolabi is a bitch but she won't try to avoid the woman's wrath. Sometimes, I think she purposely tries to anger this woman."