Chapter 24

Song of the Chapter: ZAYDE WOLF - BORN READY

Manipulate (verb): to tempt a lesser human being with mutually exclusive choices, then sit back to watch while the shit hits the fan

—Alex.

After brunch the next few hours I spend in my study

After brunch the next few hours I spend in my study. Work is work. My week's been shit. I set a bottle of scotch on my desk and turn on the TV letting the newsreader drone on and on about world news—Yahoo announces another hack, Cairo bomb explosion, Terrorist attack on Berlin Christmas Market, South Korean lawmakers vote to impeach President.

I shake my head and start cleaning up messes I didn't make. Do a little destroying and a little rebuilding. Attend calls, cancel meetings and do some paperwork. Just because I'm a kingpin, a criminal, a whoremonger and etceteras doesn't mean I don't have white collar businesses and those businesses do require paperwork, y'know, and tons and tons at that. So fuck off with your high brows. Time drags as I read through five proposals for membership send for Nine Circles and add my signature to the approved documents.

Now you must be wondering what is this Nine Circles. Till now you've heard a lot about Nine Circles, Nine Circles this, Nine Circles that. And I've managed to keep it a secret.  Well, let's discover it together then shall we.

Anything goes in Nine Circle—hottest escorts, eye-candy, sex slaves, drugs, torture, murder, whatever— just as long as you've got nine billion in the bank and money to pay your dues—nine million a year—which buys you complete immunity from any government anywhere in the world. Of course, we own all the governments. How do you think so many sadistic pricks make it into office? Power and money are everything.

When Princess first came, he had great interest in knowing what happens in Nine Circles. I tackled it well, or sort of, I did, and kept him out of that part of the business. That is a Charybdis suckhole. Once you take a dip, you can't swim yourself out. He believed he was a Nine Circles escort and his clients were the members. I had kept myself away and gave Luke the responsibility to choose clients, who had nothing to do with Nine Circles but were members of Paradise. Because I was sure if I knew who his clients were, I would have killed them. It was a very tricky situation for me. And giving Luke the responsibility came as a curse as well as a boon. It helped me to take out George but it put Princess in danger for Luke's lack of concern about Princess' welfare. Like I said the trickiest full gambit of my life.