Chapter 27

Song of the Chapter: 5 Seconds of Summer Teeth

Song of the Chapter:  5 Seconds of Summer ‒ Teeth

Mors est super nos

Mors est super nos

As I fly down the corridor, Princess' warning becomes a tattoo engraved on the sinews in my heart. An elevation. A funeral dirge. Years of hard training, honing my body to a rock, moulding my mind to not accept defeat ensures my rage.

Mors est super nos

I hear commotion as I reach the mouth of the corridor and skid to a halt. Looking back I see Paris locking the library doors. "Stay there," I shout making him jump. He looks over his shoulder wide-eyed. "Stay inside the library."

Then I'm running again, rounding the corner and heading straight. I fly past the kitchen, a glimpse inside tells me Marissas are whispering anxiously with each other. As I pass the row of windows, I see my family has gathered in the Great Hall looking confused and Jesse is standing separated from them, at the doorway of the Buddha hall and holding a phone to her ear, eyes on the floor, as she bites her lip.

Hearing my thundering footsteps my family look in my direction and hurry towards me. My mind pulls up in confusion, as do my legs, slowing me down until I come to a stop.

"Oh my goodness!" Tanner dives at me not giving me a chance to ask what the hell happened. I give him a moment to pat my shoulders, my chest, brushing a shaky hand down my cheek, his frantic eyes surveying me.

"Where is Paris?" Ash's high-pitched voice is mixture of shock and relief. She has Ours restrained with a leash and sat at her feet. "I thought it was you." She looks scared shitless and beside her, Firecracker is standing like a calf going to the slaughterhouse, her arms wrapped around her midriff protectively.

"Me?" I ask. "What me?"

"Gunshot, Alex! Someone is shot!" Firecracker exclaims covering her quiver mouth with a hand.

My heart speeds up. I didn't hear any gunfire. We didn't hear any gunshot.

"Boys are doing their job, Alex." Landon speaks up, his cadence calmer than the rest of my family, his words more pronounced, thought-out, and distinct. "They need time to search every nook and corner and Gray Manson is not small."