Chapter 23(b)

Song of the Chapter : Fleurie - Breathe

"Gold!" I shout and hurry towards the hallway

"Gold!" I shout and hurry towards the hallway. "Gold! Come back here," I hear heavy panting and cat's yowling. I round the corner and my legs slow when I find Jazz pressed up against the dining room door, with the infuriating little cat clutched in her arms, and Luke is kneeling beside Gold, who is sat on his hunches, his eyes on his prey, tongue lolled out. Hearing my approaching footstep, they all look in my direction. Gold barks eagerly, ears perked.

"I swear to God, Gold." I scold him.

Gold barks arguing.

"I said no." I say sternly. "Lie down."

Gold releases a whining kind of bark and goes down to his belly. The cat yowls again throwing a clawed paw as if it wants to hit Gold, scratch his handsome mug up.

"I'm still furious," I tell Gold coming to a stop near them.

"Hey man," Luke stands up smirking. He must have come straight from the basement gym, his leather jacket is thrown over a sweat-stained muscle shirt and ratty old gray joggers. He still looks pasty, sunken eyes, more so with a bruised nose and cheekful of stubble. The mark of drug abuse. "Everything is under control. Gold just wanted to say hi."

"He's not supposed to say hi to anybody." I say and as I don't smile, Luke's own smile falls, he scratches his chin. I have not spoken with him since everything went ugly. I can't even look at him right now. He has kissed my wife and forgiveness isn't my greatest forte.

I look to Jazz and cock my head indicating for her to leave. She does so peeling herself from the door and pass me as calmly as possible, so not to instigate another reaction from Gold. I flick my eyes to Luke gauging him up. He's shifty and nervous, and it's making me incredibly uncomfortable. I have nothing to say to him so I turn to leave. "Come Gold."

"Listen, Alex." I begin to walk when he calls me. "Ca—can we talk man?"

I pull in a calming breath and turn to him. "You misbehaved with my wife."

He grimaces. "Look, man I know what I did was not right."

"You kissed him."

He drops his head in defeat. "Yeah, okay. I take your point." He lifts his head, his face all genuine and schmaltzy. Dark bruises cover his eyes. "It won't happen again."