Chapter 8 (b).

"You're a scandalous human being." Tyrin's laughter is grating the fuck outta me this evening through the phone. It's been two days I haven't returned to Gray Manor or received Alex's calls either. He has called me only four time in the last two days and this one is his fifth indirect call.

I grab a Diet Coke from Leo's massive Viking fridge and a peanut butter cookie from the white ceramic jar on the counter.

"How 'bout we don't talk about this at all, huh, Ty?"

"You're in some different world now a days. I mean even Alex doesn't affect you. Which makes me think if something is wrong with you or it's just this guy. So how about you tell me what this guy has done to you and I'll shut my trap? That sounds like a fair trade. God knows I tell you everything." Her snit ends on a dramatic sigh. "And Lewis has essay homework. I was hopping you'd help him."

I take a sip of my chilled Coke sitting on the rolling chair before Ronnie's laptop. "So I'm the private tutor now."

Tyrin makes a grumbling noise. "I'm working on it. I've asked my manager for a raise. Hope he agrees soon."

She did. But after her little hook up scene in the club's bathroom I highly doubt Alex would be very happy to know she is asking for a raise. I don't have the heart to tell her that bluntly. So change of top. "You need something for dinner. I'm craving for Chinese."

There is a exasperated moment of silence before Tyrin yells. "Sasha! I need goddamn money to hire a tutor for my son and a new set of costumes to jiggle my ass on the stage!"

"Ok Ok. I get it." I click the mouse with a sigh, noting the onscreen time. It's seven. "I'll need a little time to think of something. My planning spark seems dim this evening."

"Okay. Fine. But time is at a premium. Everyday it's tick-tock, the stork is coming." Tyrin says as I shut down the computer and check my reflection in dark screen. Yikes!

Before I can smooth my hair, a bell rings out. I take my phone away from my ear looking in the air. I think the noise came from my cell phone, and I glance around the empty room. "What the hell was that?"

"Sounded like a doorbell to me." Tyrin's voice floats in from the device in my hand.

I honestly don't remember there being a bell at Leo's house since I've never rung it and no one ever visit them. I put back my phone to my ear. "I think someone's at the door. That's strange."

"Why's that strange?"

"I don't know. It just is." The bell rings again, and I tighten my bathrobe and go to take a look. "No one ever comes to the house."

Actually, that is kind of odd. Not odd for Phoenix or Leo as Phoenix work from her home and Leo is busy in his shop, when they aren't out and about eying people's personal business, but I've never seen a client pay Phoenix a visit. Mercenaries don't go about distributing their addresses to clients. And I haven't seen a family member, either. Not that that they have any. There are few overtly friendly neighbours but people usually avoid them. They are both creepy like that. They don't even use GrubHub which I've been using a lot at Tyrin's

"Who is it?" Tyrin asks around a mouthful of something.

"Hang on." The peephole reveals a fish-eye view of a blue-eyed white guy who glares at the door, clipboard in hand. The man lifts his arm and whiffs his pit, then winces, leaving me less than eager to open the door. "I don't know. I think it's pizza delivery." His uniform consists of a rumpled red stripped shirt with a red cap of the local pizzeria. He also bears the telltale signs of today's promised high heat and humidity in the form of sweat rings. "Ty. I'll call you back."