Chapter 9.

Two Years ago

(Paris' Point of View)

My fingers skim over the keys of my burner phone. There's still one option open to me. Like it or not, Leo might be my only chance. Before I can talk myself out of it, I press his number and click on the call button. I hold the cell up to my ear and wait, breathless, as the line rings once, twice, thrice.

Voicemail picks up, and I almost cry in relief. I can deal with leaving a message.

"Leo, it's me. Paris," I whisper peeking over my shoulder at the door of my room. "I know I shouldn't be calling you right now. But I really needed someone to get me out of this." I release a breath to calm my clambering heart and glance around the room, almost spooked. "Look I don't know where you guys are but I'll warn you not to call in my number. It's not with me and please don't get all fired up but I'm fine. I'm good really. Just you both be safe and if by any chance you need me call me in Tyrin's number. She is safe..." I rub my sweaty face as I pause to swallow. "But she knows nothing about..."

My ears prickle.

I stop talking and hold my breath when I hear some shuffling of footstep outside my room. I wait out for whoever it is to go as I see their shadow lingering under the door for some time before moving away.

Motherfucker who could that be?

My bet is on Luke.

That asshole is giving me grief more then ever.

I sit there in awkward silence for a moment, and then I remember that it's still recording.

"That's it, then," I whisper quickly. "You can call Tyrin. But she is still in the dark like everybody else. Bye. I will call you soon." And then I hang up before I say too much and put them both in a tight situation.

Ugh.

I quickly make my way to the chest of drawers, and pull out the heaviest one. The muscles in my arms strain as I careful place it on bed then move back placing the phone inside the hollow space at the very end in the dark corner. After I know the burner is safely placed. I then put back the drawer, hobble to my bed and flop on the mattress releasing a gush of breath.

Leo and Phoenix are heading towards Mexico, they have left Chicago two days ago and plans to go via Kansa City. I'm not sure where they are now. But I hope they reach San Juan with little to no scratch.

I close my eyes and wait for Alex to return, wondering how I managed to get myself into such a mess—

Nebraska had been a safe haven, a shelter from the storm. A new home for a ghost boy like me.

Only, one day, my past came hurtling into the diner Phoenix's grandmother owned. I worked there five days a week, collecting empty dishes, and sticking to the safety of the walled-off kitchen.

I was not his kitten.

I was not a Grayson there. I was not Addison's son.

I was Sasha Archer.

A normal uninteresting beta-male and friend to Leo, Phoenix's boyfriend.

I was doing my rounds one night after the diner clients had cleaned out and the place was just about ready to close. Phoenix was waiting for me at the counter as she picked at a plate of cold French fries. She was covered in grease and oil after she fixed her baby mustang, and that intoxicating smell that clung to her always, that made me feel safe wherever I was.