Chapter 13

When Brock uttered those dreadful words, Ash immediately felt his throat tighten. The four pale walls of the classroom felt like they were enclosing in around him. His breath became shallow, and he felt a shiver run down his spine. The raven head's eyes widen with confusion and worry as one question floated around his panicking mind; how did he know?

The raven head opened his mouth to reply, but no words came rushing out. Just the eerie sensation of silence wafted from his mouth.

Seeing Ash's inability to form words, Brock confidently injected, "Someone hit you, didn't they?"

After saying this, Brock saw Ash's eyes dilate, as his hands nervously ran through his night-black hair. "How did you know?" Ash quietly mumbled, his chocolate eyes staring at the white floor.

Brock then stood up and walked over to the troubled student, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "Ash. A fall doesn't cause a bruise like that. It's too wide," Brock calmly explained. "Your classmates may not have picked up on it. But I did."

"O." That was the only thing Ash could muster up as his body stood there frozen, like ice. No one should have found out about him and Giovanni. The news would spread like wildfire once there was even a slight rumour about it. It would make his life even worst.

Could he continue to trust Brock to keep this a secret?

A clearing of Brock's throat brought Ash back to the present. When he looked up, he found a probing gaze from his brown headteacher. That's when Ash resolved that if he had to entrust this secret to someone, it would be Brock. Despite the complications and potential risks, there was a certain reliability in Brock's understanding. He was one of the few who stood by Ash's side, silently witnessing the challenges that unfolded in his world. In this tumultuous journey, Brock had become a pillar of support, a reassuring constant when everything threatened to crumble for Ash.

"It also helps that I've been on the receiving end of some monstrous slaps as well. So, I know how the bruising looks," Brock sheepishly added. Always trying to lighten the situation, Ash thought.

"Who did it, Ash?" Brock questioned.

Ash hesitated for a moment. His mind conflicted on whether to say it or not. "It doesn't matter, Brock. Just forget about it," Ash answered quietly. 

But Brock, persistent and caring, wasn't ready to let it go. "Ash, you can't just brush this off. I want to help. You shouldn't have to face this alone."

"I said it's fine, Brock!" Ash snapped, his frustration bubbling to the surface. "I don't need your help or anyone else's. Just drop it."

Brock took a step back, surprised by Ash's sudden anger. "I only want to help, Ash. You don't have to face everything alone," Brock explained. 

Ash's eyes flashed with irritation. "I don't need your help! You don't understand what it's like!"

Brock, undeterred, persisted. "Let me be there for you, Ash. We can find a solution together."

But Ash's patience wore thin. "I said no! Stop pushing. You can't fix everything, and I don't need your pity," Ash spat, glaring at his teacher.

The intense glare froze Brock. It was rare to see Ash mad at anyone in school. To Brock, it was like seeing a whole different side of the boy. Not the warm and hospitable one he has seen over the years at school. Suddenly, Ash turned away from the teacher. Grabbing his bag, he started to walk out of the class.

As he reached the doorway, Ash turned back to his teacher. Seeing how Brock was still in a daze, Ash let out an annoyed sigh—internally kicking himself for yelling out one of the few people who even cared about him.