(18) If I can't have you nobody can

If I can’t have you nobody can

Chapter 18

I grabbed a hold of Sidney’s cage’s keys and ran over to the room where he was kept. It was pitch dark inside so I quickly flipped the switch and ran over to his cage as the lights above flickered on. He was sitting on the floor in the middle of his cage but as soon as he saw me he jumped to his feet.

“I’ve got the keys,” I whispered softly as I started unlocking the locks. There was quite a few reminding me of how scared everybody seemed to be of him. It was ridiculous.

“Come on!” I whisper yelled as I threw open the door of his cage. He stared at it for a second and then turned his attention to me.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” He asked looking concerned.

“Yes, now come on before somebody realizes what’s going on,” I replied nervously. I really hope that we could get out without being caught. My guards were still outside the door and I’m sure there were a lot more of them scattered around in the building.

Sidney nodded his head and quickly got out of his cage. I needed to get a hold of Graham’s tranquilizer gun so I made my way over to where the keys were kept again and grabbed a bunch that had a tag with Graham’s name on them.

I quickly ran to the steel cupboard where I saw Graham left his tranquilizer gun and started going through the bunch of keys. I was vaguely aware of Sidney hanging around behind me while I searched for the key.

“Step aside,” he said taking me by surprise, it was the first time he spoke since I let him out of his cage. I did as he said and watched as he pulled open the cupboard door. The lock broke and fell to the floor as he took a step back for me to get what I wanted from inside.

The way he tugged at the door looked so gentle that I was shocked when it broke open. I knew he was strong considering the way he managed to break his cage but seeing it with my own two eyes was a completely different thing.

“Kaiden,” Sidney whispered nervously pulling me back to reality and the seriousness of our situation.

I grabbed the tranquilizer gun, throwing it over my shoulder and then I grabbed a box full of the tranquilizer darts.

“Do you want a weapon?” I asked turning around to face him.

“I don’t need one,” he replied shrugging his shoulders.

“Ok, I guess we should go then,” I said scanning the room for anything else that might be useful.

“Wait a second, do you have a bag here?” Sidney asked as his eyes focused on me.

“Yeah, I almost forgot,” I replied running over to Jeremy’s desk and grabbing a hold of it.

When I turned around Sidney was on the other side of the room breaking open a drawer.

“What are you looking for?” I asked when I reached him.

“The drugs they give me,” he replied as he took my bag from me and started throwing in vases full of the blue liquid that I injected him with earlier. I had no idea why he was doing it but I didn’t argue, I just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

Once he had placed all of the vases in my bag he took a step back and I saw the name on the drawer that they were in. Black Sunshine. The name triggered a memory of the file that Jeremy had earlier. I knew we didn’t have much time but I ran over to the drawers with the files in anyway and searched through them until I found the one labeled as Black Sunshine. Sidney was right behind me so as soon as I had it I stuffed it into the bag along with the vases and some syringes I didn’t even see him throw in.

“We should go,” I whispered nervously looking over at Jeremy’s unconscious body.

“Stay behind me,” Sidney said walking over to the door. I wanted to object but he was moving so fast that all I could do was grab a hold of the tranquilizer gun and follow him.

He threw open the big steel door that led into the hallway and I watched as my two guards spun around and pointed their guns at him. For a second I thought it was all over, that they were going to shoot him and kill me for what I’ve done but then Sidney grabbed a hold of both of them. He moved so fast that they didn’t even have time to pull the trigger before he had smashed their heads together.

He let their lifeless bodies fall to the ground before grabbing a hold of my hand and pulling me into the darkness of the hallway.