(15) Project Survival

Project Survival

Chapter 15

I woke to the sound of Sidney’s voice whispering my name.

“Kaiden, we’ve got to go,” he said, trying to sound calm but I could hear the panic in his voice.

I had to literally force my eyes open and when I did I could see just how worried he really was.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, trying to sit up. My body was still icy cold even though I was wrapped up tightly in a heap of blankets. I felt nauseous immediately as I moved and clasped my hand over my mouth.

“They’re her, I waited as long as possible but we have to go now,” he replied.

“Ok,” I managed to say as I shakily removed the blankets from around me.

Sidney took one look at me and groaned, obviously noticing that I had gotten much worse than I was last night. He picked me up easily and I rested my head on his shoulder, not even trying to act brave. I was feeling horrible and I knew there was no way I was going to be able to walk. I also knew he wouldn’t leave me behind, even if I begged him.

Sidney grabbed our bags and ran out of the hotel, moving as fast as possible while trying to be gentle so that he doesn’t hurt me. We almost made it to the car but they got there just as we did and blocked our way.

There were big men in black suits everywhere, holding guns and weapons I couldn’t even name. They looked like something you would find in a science fiction movie.

“We are going to have to fly,” Sidney whispered into my ear as his wings broke through his shirt. I simply nodded my head in understanding, unable to do much more. I felt the ground move out from under us and smiled as the wind blew past me, causing my hair to flutter. It felt good but it only lasted a second.

“Shit,” Sidney breathed and then as fast as we were in the air we were back on the ground again.

 I looked around frantically to see what happened and noticed heavily armed helicopters flying towards us. My insides turned and I felt like I was going to through up.  This couldn’t be happening, could it? Isn’t it enough that I am sick?  How am I supposed to help Sidney when I can’t even walk?  My mind raced with questions but I couldn’t answer them, instead I took a deep breath and tried to gather all of my strength, I was going to need it.

 We landed behind the men in suits and Sidney immediately started running. We were at the edge of town so we only had two choices. Go into town or head the other way where there was nothing but a long winding road, surrounded by open fields.

Sidney chose to go into town, probably hoping that he would be able to lose the men and hide from the helicopters.

We made it into what looked like an abandoned warehouse without being caught but the men were right behind us. Sidney placed me down on the ground in a small little room and closed the door, begging me to stay there. I would have argued but I could barely move.

It wasn’t long before I heard the sound of braking glass, loud screams and gun shots. My heart sank in my chest, knowing there was no way I could live with myself if something happened to Sidney.  He is my life and I had to do something to help him.

I pushed myself into a sitting position and groaned from pain. Everything was hurting but I had to do something. I looked around the room and noticed that Sidney had left our bags with me.

I heard a very loud roaring scream that I recognized as Sidney immediately my heart sank in my chest and I made my decision. What I was about to do might kill me but I had to try.

I crawled over to the bag, opened it and took out one of the vials of Sidney’s drugs and an injection. I pulled the liquid into the syringed and injected it into my arm.