(8) Project Survival

Project Survival

Chapter 8

I started the car and made my way into town, looking for boards that would lead me to a hospital. It didn’t take long until I found what I was looking for. I had absolutely no idea how I was going to get the drug but I didn’t stop to think about it. I didn’t have any time to waste.

I pulled the car into the parking lot and searched for a parking space as far out of the way as possible. I didn’t want anybody walking past the car and seeing Sidney in the back seat. Once I had parked the car I quickly checked on him again and then got out and locked him inside. I threw my bag with the gun and some money in over my shoulder and started making my way inside.

I didn’t even think that the hospital might have metal detectors until I reached the entrance and saw them. I cursed myself under my breath and ran back to the car. I quickly placed the gun under my seat and then made my way back to the entrance. I walked through the metal detectors hoping that I didn’t have anything else in my bag that I forgot about. Luckily it didn’t go off but I still felt nervous as I walked past the guard. It was probably just me being paranoid but I could swear he was looking at me suspiciously.

I had no idea where I was going to find the drug but I had a feeling that they would be keeping something like that in the emergency department. I looked at the big directions board on the wall and noticed that the emergency entrance was at the other end of the hospital so I started making my way down the long halls hoping that nobody stopped and asked me what I was doing.

I wasn’t that lucky though. A young woman wearing scrubs spotted me and came walking over to me.

“Can I help you?” she asked, she sounded tired but had a friendly tone to her voice.

“I… I’m looking for my friend’s room, she had a baby earlier today,” I lied, saying the first thing that came to mind.

“Oh dear, you’re heading in the wrong direction. The maternity ward in on the third floor,” she stated, looking unsuspecting of my blatant lie.

“I’ll just go up there then,” I said pointing to the elevators and the end of the hall.

“Ok dear,” the doctor said and then took off down the hall I had just came from.

I let out a deep breath and thanked my lucky stars that she didn’t realize I was lying. I slowly made my way down the rest of the hall, looking over my shoulder every few seconds. Once she was out of sight I ran the rest of the way to the end of the hallway and made a right turn. I almost ran into a young couple. The guy glared at me but the girl didn’t even look up.

There were no doctors in sight so I kept on running until I saw a sign for the emergency rooms. I slowed my pace and made my way over to the big double doors. There was a little window in both of them so I peeked inside. The doors led into a big room with a lot of other doors. There were a few doctors just sitting around talking and I had no idea how I was going to get in there without being seen.

I just stood there for a few minutes trying to figure out what I was going to do when I heard some noise from inside. I quickly peeked through the window again and saw that all the doctors and nurses were jumping up and running to the emergency entrance on the other side. I had no idea what was going on but it might be the only chance I would get so I pushed open the doors and ran inside.

The first door I reached was locked so I ran to the next one as fast as I could. I pushed it open and looked inside. There was a bed surrounded by machines and some cabinets along the wall. I slipped inside and closed the door behind me hoping that nobody saw me. I didn’t have time to worry about it though. I made my way over to the cupboards against the wall and started going through them. I was about to give up and go to the next room when I saw another little cupboard on the other side of the room. I ran around the bed and pulled open the door.

The cupboard wasn’t big but it was filled with all sorts of drugs. I quickly scanned through them and to my relief found the one I was looking for. There was about nine or so vials so I just grabbed all of them and gently placed them into my bag. I really didn’t want them to break.

Once I had what I was looking for I made my way back to the door and peeked through it. The doctors were all back in the big room now. There were two patients lying on stretchers and although all of the doctors and nurses seemed preoccupied with them there was no way I was going to be able to sneak past them without being noticed.

I sunk down against the wall and concentrated on my breathing. I could feel myself starting to freak out. I had to get back to Sidney but I had no idea how to do that. I couldn’t afford to get caught but I couldn’t afford to wait too long before I made my escape.

I closed my eyes and placed my head in my hands trying to calm myself down. I was no good for Sidney if I was a nervous wreck. I had to be strong and figure out a way to get out of the hospital and back to him.