(21) If I can't have you nobody can

If I can’t have you nobody can

Chapter 21

When I woke again the sun was shining through the cracks in the boarded up windows. My stomach rumbled loudly reminding me of how hungry I was. I haven’t eaten anything since the day before yesterday. My dad was in such a hurry to get to the lab that I didn’t have time to eat breakfast and for the rest of the day I was way too nervous to eat.

“You’re hungry, I should get you some food,” Sidney said as he moved me off of his lap. With the warmth of his body gone a shiver ran through my body.

“No, I’m fine, don’t worry,” I said not wanting to come across as a burden. This was my escape plan yet he wound up doing everything.

“I’m not worrying but you need to eat and so do I. We’ll be no good on the run if we don’t stay strong,” Sidney replied pushing himself to his feet.

“I’ve got some money in my bag and a credit card but we can’t use that, they will trace it,” I said grabbing a hold of my bag. I searched through it and found my purse. Sidney didn’t say anything he just watched me. I quickly checked and found that I only had a few dollars, not even enough to get us breakfast.

“It’s not enough,” I stated slumping back against the wall feeling like a complete idiot. I never would have survived the escape if it wasn’t for Sidney.

“Give me one of the tranquilizer darts and wait here,” Sidney said holding out his hand. I didn’t like the sound of it but I took one out of my bag and handed it to him.

“Where are you going?” I asked getting to my feet.

“To get breakfast,” he replied nonchalantly.

“I want to come with, I can help,” I sated not really convinced about the last part.

“I think it will be quicker and easier if you just wait here,” he replied as the corner of his mouth turned up into a grin.

“But I want to help,” I stated stubbornly.

“You’ve done enough Kaiden. You got me out of that cage and gave me freedom now please just let me go get you breakfast,” Sidney said watching me with his gorgeous blue eyes. I wanted to object but something told me not to.

“Ok but be carefu,l” I said not happy with letting him go alone.

“I won’t be long,” Sidney stated and then disappeared out of the room.

While he was gone I went through my bag to see what we could sell to get some money. There wasn’t much in it. I had left my cell phone at home seeing that it was cut off and except for that I only had some random stuff in it that wouldn’t be worth anything. I opened my purse again and looked at the photo of me and Jeremy in it. I felt tears sting at my eyes as I took it out and tore it into pieces. I hated him for everything he has done. He was supposed to be my best friend but it turned out that he was a backstabbing liar.

Sidney returned about a half an hour later with a plastic bag full of breakfast bars, crisps, sodas, flavored milk and some random packets of candy. He sat down next to me and handed me the bag. When I looked inside I couldn’t help but laugh.

“What did you do? Rob the candy store?” I asked jokingly.

“Yes, that is exactly what I did. I would have liked to get you a warm breakfast but all the shops were full of people. The candy store was the only one with no customers,” he said apologetically.

“How did you do it?” I asked as I took out two breakfast bars. I handed him one and opened the other one for me.

“Like I said, there were no customers so I sedated the guy behind the till, dragged him into the back room and got us some stuff as quick as possible. I would have gotten more but I didn’t want somebody to come in and see me stealing,” he answered opening his breakfast bar and taking a bite.

“You really are something,” I stated amazed at how easy he made it sound.

“I just wish I knew what,” Sidney replied seriously.

“Well, let’s find out,” I said pulling his file out of my bag. All of his information should be in it and it was about time for him to find out what they’ve been doing to him all of these years.