(19) If I can't have you nobody can

If I can’t have you nobody can

Chapter 19

I desperately wanted to see where we were going but Sidney never stopped to switch the lights on. As we walked down the hallway I was waiting for us to bump into something or someone but that never happened. I could see a beam of light in the distance and felt relieve fill my body. The light was coming from the stairwell, at least I’ll be able to see where I’m going while I climb the stairs.

As we reach the staircase Sidney came to a sudden stop. He pushed me against the wall and disappeared around the corner and up the stairs in a flash. My heart was pounding in my chest with nerves but I knew what he was doing and I couldn’t let him. He was trying to protect me from the guards.

I stepped into the light pointing my tranquilizer gun in front of me but the only thing there was another guard’s lifeless body.

“Come on,” Sidney whispered as he reappeared at the top of the stairs. I didn’t let him wait on me. I ran up the stairs as fast as I could almost falling as I attempted to jump over the guard’s body.

“I can look after myself,” I stated feeling a bit irritated. Sidney just smiled at me, grabbed a hold of my hand and started pulling me in some random direction.

“This isn’t the way out,” I hissed trying to pull my hand out of his. It was hopeless so instead of hurting myself I gave up. There were two more bodies lying on the floor as we made our way to a big steel door.

“There’s more than one way out of here, this one will be the safest,” Sidney said grabbing a hold of the steel door and pushing it open. I heard something snap inside of it and realized that it must have been locked.

“How do you know?” I asked confused. His been locked up in his cage his entire life so how would he even know where the exit’s are?

“I can smell it,” he answered calmly before pulling me into the next room. It was a big room filled with desks and computers, some sort of office.

We made our way through the room and into a hallway as I considered his words. I knew he didn’t have any reason to lie to me so I knew he was telling the truth. I just wasn’t sure which part he could smell. The part about where the exit was or the part about which way was the safest.

“What exactly do you smell?” I asked my curiosity getting the better of me.

“Everything,” he answered turning to face me.

He had an adorable little smile on his face and for a second I forgot about where we were and what was going on. The only thing I could think about was how hot he is.

“There’s a long hallway with a lot of offices attached to it behind that door, at the end of it there is as emergency exit,” he stated calmly.

“Ok, let’s go then,” I said unable to contain my excitement. I couldn’t wait to get out of this place.

“There are also about ten guards,” he said chuckling at my excitement.

“I’ve got enough darts, I can shoot them,” I said looking at the tranquilizer gun hanging over my shoulder. I sounded a lot braver then I felt, I had never shot anything before in my life and to be honest I didn’t know if I would be able to hit a target.

“That won’t be necessary, I just need you to stay here until I call you,” Sidney replied still smiling at me.

“No, they’ll kill you!” I half yelled. As I did this he placed his hand over my mouth and pushed me up against the wall for the second time. Only this time he was standing very close to me and my whole body started going crazy with feelings I never knew before.

“Shh, their coming,” he whispered softly into my ear making me feel slightly disorientated.

The next second the door that led to the hallway flew open and two guards stepped into the room. The one saw us immediately and yelled some sort of command to the others. Sidney stepped forward faster then was humanly possible and grabbed the fist guard’s gun out of his hand. He lifted it into the air and hit him on the side of his head causing him to slump to the ground with a pained groan. The second guard was backing away from Sidney with his gun still pointed at him. I could tell that he was shaking by the way the gun was rattling in his hands.

Sidney looked down the hallway and then instead of attacking the guard he lifted the gun and pulled the trigger. The bullet hit him in the middle of his head, he tumbled backwards and fell through a window setting off the alarm. Sidney turned in the direction of the hallway and stormed into it. I heard the sound of several gunshots. This sent me over the edge. Sidney was dead and it was all my fault. I should have thought the plan through properly but I didn’t and now he was dead.

I considered running in the other direction but knew I wouldn’t be able to get away. The alarm was going off and the place would be filled with guard and police in the next few minutes. It would be better if I just gave myself up, I decided as I stepped into the hallway. What I saw took me by complete surprise. Sidney wasn’t lying dead on the floor, instead a bunch of guards were. He punched the last one in the face causing an awful crushing sound and let him fall before he turned his attention to me.

At first I thought that the bullets must have missed him because he looked fine but as I scanned his body to make sure I saw several little holes in his shirt.

“Shit, you got shot!” I breathed as I ran towards him. I was about to pull his shirt up to see how bad the damage was but he stopped me.

“I’m fine, we should get going before more of them shows up,” he said sounding a bit nervous for the first time tonight.

“No, you’re hurt… ,“ I started saying wanting to see how badly injured he really was but just like before he grabbed a hold of my hand and started pulling me towards the emergency exit.

I watched his movement and felt a bit better when it didn’t look like he was in any pain. When we reached the door he pulled it open and then peeked outside. The alarm was still going crazy and I could hear people screaming in the distance.

“Come on,” Sidney whispered pulling me into the back yard of the building. As I stepped outside the voices grew louder and I really started to panic. If they caught us now they weren’t going to capture us and lock us up in cages, they were going to kill us.

The guards could come at us from both sides so we didn’t have any time to waste. We dashed across the yard to the high wall with the electric fencing on top. I had no idea how we were going to get over it without getting hurt.

It turned out I was worrying for no reason, we weren’t going over, we were going through. Sidney let go of my hand and threw a punch at the wall causing it to shiver and crack. That sort of punch would have broken every bone in my hand but it didn’t even seem to hurt him. The bricks fell to the ground leaving a big hole in the middle of the wall.

Sidney helped me through and then climbed through and grabbed my hand again. It felt nice and gave me a feeling of being safe. He scanned the area and then we ran to a big park across the street. We ran until we reached some big trees, Sidney pushed me in behind them fell to my knees breathlessly.

“Are you ok?” he asked softly as he crouched down beside me. I couldn’t answer immediately. I was still trying to catch my breath and my whole world seemed to be spinning around me. I don’t know how I ever imagined I could escape, if it wasn’t for Sidney I wouldn’t even have gotten past the first guards.

“Breath,” he whispered softly to me. I did as he said and soon everything started coming back into focus.

“We have to go,” Sidney said helping me to my feet.

“Ok, I’m better now,” I replied looking up at him. He nodded his head and then we started running again.