(2) Projrct Survival

Project Survival

Chapter 2

Sidney woke me early the next morning, the sun wasn’t even out yet but I felt refreshed after a good night’s sleep. You would think that I would have been restless and scared the whole night since we were sleeping in a strange house with the threat of the people coming home at any moment but I felt so safe with Sidney that I didn’t worry about it once. We quickly freshened up not knowing when we were going to have a proper bathroom again. Once we were done we scanned the house again to make sure that everything was as we found it and then we left.

I carried my bag, which I had filled with snacks and Sidney carried the back pack which was quite heavy, but he didn’t seem to notice. We made our way out of the suburb and onto a long road that led to the country side. We walked for what seemed like forever before we stopped to rest. I was doing ok since we weren’t walking to fast but my feet were starting to hurt. We had passed a few farm houses but they were far away from the road so I doubted that anybody would have seen us.

It was warm and the sun was burning my skin so we sat in the shade beneath a big old tree. It felt good to relax my muscles and the bottle of water that Sidney gave me tasted like heaven. I ate a muffin that I had stolen from the house for lunch but Sidney didn’t want anything. He wasn’t use to eating as much or often as I was. We sat there for about an hour before we had to move on. Sidney took my bag from me to make the walk easier for me.

By nightfall I was really tired. Sidney found us an old barn to sleep in. It was far away from the farm house and didn’t seem to be in use anymore since there were no animals in it. We ate one of the tins of food for dinner and then Sidney made me a bed from hay that he had scraped together. It wasn’t as soft or comfortable as the bed we had slept in last night but I was too tired to care and anyway, we were on the run now and luxury wasn’t an option.

Sidney cuddled next to me and I fell asleep in his arms instantly. The next morning I woke up to the sun shining in through the cracks in the wooden walls. The fact that I slept so late caused panic to shoot through my body. I sat up straight and looked beside me but Sidney wasn’t there. I scanned the barn with my eyes and saw a figure sitting against the opposite wall. I jumped to my feet and ran over to him, sinking to my knees in front of him.

His knees were pulled up against his chest and he was holding his head in his hands. He was shaking slightly and I could see some sweat tingling on his skin.

“What’s wrong?” I asked placing my hand on his cheek and lifting his head so that he had to look at me. He looked scared and in pain.

“I don’t know, I think I need more of the drugs” he answered, his voice sounding strained.

“But the course is over, you shouldn’t need anymore” I replied, growing more scared by the moment.

“I thought so too, guess we were wrong” he said looking me straight in the eyes. His eyes were their usual gorgeous blue but they were filled with worry.

“It’s ok, we’ll figure something out” I said jumping to my feet. I ran over to our back pack and grabbed a bottle of water before returning to him. I opened it and held it out for him, he took it with a shaky hand and drank a few sips before handing it back to me.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know this was going to happen” he said apologetically.

“It’s not your fault, there is no way you could have known and like I said, we’ll figure something out” I replied. I had no idea what we were going to do but I knew that I would do anything for Sidney.

“I don’t know if there is anything we can do” he said resting his head back against the wall. He looked so tired and sick that my heart was threatening to break.

“There is something” I replied as an idea popped up in my head.

“What?” he asked, not opening his eyes to look at me.

“All the ingredients of the drugs they gave you are in your file, I’ll find them and make you some more” I answered making it sound much easier then I knew it would be.

“No” Sidney said, his eyes snapping open and focusing on mine.

“What do you mean no? I have to do it, we don’t have any other option” I replied.

“I can’t let you do that, it’s way too dangerous” he said sternly.

“You don’t have a choice, you’ve risked your life for me and I’m not going to let you die” I replied without flinching. I was petrified at the idea of going to find the drugs and what trouble I could get in but I couldn’t let him see it or he would never let me go.