(14) Project Survival

Project Survival

Chapter 14

When night came Sidney insisted that we needed to stop and find a proper place for me to rest.

 I was feeling horrible and at one point I actually realized that I was probably going to die. I had thrown up more times than I can remember and every time the bluish color intensified. My body was cold as ice at this point and I was visibly shaking. I could see both fear and guilt in Sidney’s eyes and that frightened me more than being sick. I didn’t want him to feel guilty over this. We didn’t know that I would be affected by his drugs and I know he will never do anything to harm me.

“We should just keep on going,” I complained, knowing that if we stopped there is a chance that the people following us might catch up.

“No, you need to get some rest and I need to figure out how to stop this before it kills you,” Sidney, replied.

We didn’t speak the rest of the way as Sidney drove around looking for a safe place. We eventually found a small hotel near the edge of some town and stopped there for the night.

I could tell that Sidney wished there was more he could do for me but whatever is wrong with me won’t be able to be treated at a hospital.

Sidney was starting to feel bad to by the time we were finally in our hotel room so I insisted that he had to take some of the drugs I prepared. He seemed reluctant, obviously feeling guilty and thinking that if I was sick he should be too but that was just stupid. He had to be strong especially now.

He helped my lay down in bed and then after promising him that I was ok for a million times he finally injected himself. I was still worried that I had somehow did something wrong and that the mixture would harm him but it seemed to make him feel better instantly. It was strange because usually it took a while for the remedy to work. Maybe I made it to strong. And that’s when it hit me. Before when we made love Sidney’s drugs didn’t affect me in anyway but now that he was taking the mixture that I made it somehow managed to make me sick. Maybe I made it to strong or did something wrong.

The realization that it was my fault that I was sick gave me a little bit of hope. Not for recovering but to make Sidney feel better.

“Sidney,” I whispered my voice shaky.

“Yeah,” He replied s, sitting down next to me and taking my hand in his.

“I think I know what happened,” I replied, smiling weakly.

I explained my theory to him and although he believed I might be right about what happened it didn’t make him feel any better.

“It is still my fault, all of this is my fault. If it wasn’t for me you wouldn’t be sick and you never would have run away and been in this situation in the first place,” he said.

“That’s not true, it’s all my crazy fathers fault and anyway, if I had to do it all over again, I would,” I said.

Sidney smiled at my words and then softly kissed me on my head, making me feel slightly better. All I need is his love and everything will be ok I thought as my eyes closed and I fell into a restless sleep.