(5) Project Survival

Project Survival

Chapter 5

The old woman struggled in my arms and as much as I wanted to let her go I knew I couldn’t.

“Hold still!” I shouted, tightening the knife against her throat. Her body froze immediately and I turned my attention back to the two men. The old one was now lying on the floor and the younger one was crouching over him, frantically searching for a pulse.

“We need to call 911!” he half shouted, half begged as he looked up at me with pleading eyes.

“No,” I said sternly, shaking my head. I couldn’t let them phone anybody. I couldn’t risk being caught.

“But he’s going to die! I can’t find a pulse!” the young man pleaded. I felt guilty as hell and I hated what I was doing, but it had to be done. I was doing it so that Sidney could live and that is what I had to focus on.

“No. I know you have to have some rope around here, where do you keep it?” I asked, not really caring who answered.

The young man just stared at me with hatred and the old woman was sobbing. I needed an answer, I didn’t have time to play games.

“Tell me now or I’ll kill her,” I demanded.

“There should be some rope in that cupboard over there,” the man answered, pointing to a cupboard on the other side of the kitchen.

“Ok, we are going to walk over there slowly and take it out, if you make any sudden moves or try anything she is dead,” I warned. I wasn’t really planning on killing her but I needed him to think I was.

We walked over to the cupboard and he took out a few lengths of rope. I didn’t want them to be anywhere they could escape so I led them over to the pantry. It wasn’t big but they would both fit in there. I didn’t trust the guy so I made him tie up his mother’s hands and feet while I held the knife at her throat. I knew that he could easily try to get the knife from me but I had no other option. Luckily it didn’t seem like he was going to take any chances. Once he had tied her up I told him to sit down and tie his legs together. He did as I said and when he was done I helped the old lady to sit down next to him, all the while holding the knife to her throat.

Her arms were tied together but she could still use her hands so I told her to tie his arms together. When they were both securely tied up I cut the last piece of rope into two pieces and tied their hands together as best as I could. I couldn’t have them untying themselves while I was busy robbing them.

“I’m sorry about everything,” I said and then locked them in the pantry. Luckily the key was in the door which saved me some time. I quickly ran over to the old man on the floor and felt for a pulse but there was none, he was dead. I felt horrible but I didn’t have time to think about that at the moment.

I made my way through the house searching for money and car keys. I found the old man’s wallet which had some money in as well as the young guy’s but I was sure that they had to have some more money stashed away so I kept on searching. I found it a few minutes later beneath the old man and woman’s mattress. I don’t know why I looked there but it was a good thing that I did. I stuffed all the money into my bag and then quickly made my way into the young guy’s room where I saw a computer. I switched it on and ran a search on the names of the two missing drugs.

One was an actual drug that they sold on the streets. It went by the name of Sliver potion and was apparently one of the strongest drugs out there, which is why it wasn’t as popular. Many people have died from taking a single dose causing the drug dealers to stop selling it. The other drug was a drug that hospitals use to give patients adrenaline. I quickly memorized the information before clearing the computers search history and turning it off.

I could hear the old lady screaming as I made my way out of the house but I didn’t worry about it. Nobody would hear her, the house was too far away from the road. I didn’t see any cars out front so I ran around the house to the back. I had found two sets of keys while I was searching for the money. There was an old truck that looked like it should be dropped off at a scrap yard and a newish kind of car. I didn’t know much about cars but there was no doubt that it would be better than the truck. The first set of keys I tried worked and I thanked my lucky stars. I really didn’t want to take the truck.

I quickly started the car and drove over to the barn. We needed to leave the area before somebody found the old lady and her son. Sidney was really heavy to carry so I had to drag him to the car since he was still unconscious. I laid him down on the back seat and then threw our bags on the front seat next to me before taking off.