Chapter 15 Family Time

A few minutes after Marinette put the finishing touches on the pizza, she placed it inside the oven to cook. 

       Sally came into the kitchen and  signed, "Mom is the pizza ready yet?"

    "Not yet, my daughter," Marinette signed back.

"Want to play checkers?"  Adrien signed as soon as Sally rejoined him in the living room.

  "Sure, I love checkers!" Sally signed.

     "Hi, wanna come sit with me and I  will read you a story?" Alix offered.

    Sally shook her head no.  "I rather play checkers with Daddy!" Sally signed.

        Adrien set up the checkerboard and let Sally pick which color she wanted to use. She signaled him that he was to go first. 

     So, he picked up a black piece and moved it.  Then, Sally moved a red piece.

    Sally and Adrien played for the next twenty minutes while Marinette watched. 

     Marinette was glad to see those two get along so well. She took some pictures of them and smiled.  She felt the buzz from the timer, since she could not hear it, and checked the oven.  Sure enough, the food was done.  She pulled it out to let it cool.

  "Yes, I won!" Sally signed when she and her father finished the game.

   Adrien gave Sally a high five and she gave him one back.  

      Marinette signed the food was ready.  Adrien and Sally came to the table together.  

     Marinette smiled as Adrien pulled out a chair for their daughter, then the next one for her.  He sat in his chair, and  Alix decided to go back to her apartment. 

    After Alix left, Sally said the blessing out loud but signed it too.  She was only partially deaf due to a hearing loss after an illness. She was happy in her new home.  

   As Adrien, Marinette, and Sally ate the pizza they could not help, but think it was a great first day together as a family.  

   After the meal, Sally was tired, so she got ready for bed early, and soon went to sleep. Adrien tucked her in then went to see how things were going with his wife. He saw her at the sink and sighed, "Here, let me help you with the dishes."

   "Thanks, Adrien!" Marinette signed back.

   Once the dishes were done, Adrien and Marinette went upstairs to their room.  They enjoyed each other's company and did what most married couples do.  Then, they were all worn out and went to sleep.  The next morning, They woke before Sally and took a shower together, dried off, and got dressed.

     Adrien made the coffee while Marinette cooked breakfast. Sally woke up to the smell of food and smiled. She got dressed and came to see what there was to eat. 

    "Oatmeal, yes!'' Sally signed. She had not eaten it in a long time. 

     Later, after breakfast, Sally, Adrien, and Marinette enjoyed the nice weather.  They played a small game of horse with the basketball at the goal. Then, went inside and played the game Monopoly.  It was Sally's first time with it, so it took her a while to catch on to the rules. Adrien won the game, but Sally clapped in excitement for him.  Marinette thought it was cute how happy Sally was even when she lost the game.