Chapter 11 Tragedy Strikes

A few weeks later, a car pulled up outside the house Adrien lived in along with his mother and sister. Adrien saw the car and knew it meant his Marinette was back. He could hardly contain his excitement.  Lily noticed it too and ran outside to greet Alix and Marinette.

      An angry, mean dog charged at the car as soon as Alix finished parking it. The animal turned when it heard Lily approach, and jumped on her. It also knocked her down and begin to bite her. 

     Lily screamed in fear as she stood up, and ran off in the opposite direction to get away from the creature.  She ran into the path of a truck driver who slammed on his brakes to try to avoid hitting her.  She tripped though and before she could get up another car out of nowhere. She stood up, but the second driver did not see her. He hit her and she was killed instantly.

    Alix who witnessed the entire thing from the sidewalk screamed, "No, not Lily!  No!"

   Marinette cried and cried. She saw Adrien come outside, but before she could sign anything to him he saw the shocked expression on their faces.

     Adrien knew something was wrong and looked in the street. He saw his sister lying their lifeless and sat on the sidewalk in shock.  He was to grief stricken to move. He looked at Marinette and Alix, as he signed, "Lily, she is dead."

    "Adrien, I am so sorry, " Marinette signed through her tears. 

       Marinette, grabbed Adrien's hand and went inside the house. Alix followed along behind them. 

    "Hi, it is good to see you are back! " Mrs. Agreste signed to Marinette.

   "Good to see you again too, Alix!" Mrs. Agreste said.

  "Mom, something terrible has happened,'' Adrien signed. 

"What do you mean? Where is Lily?" Mrs. Agreste signed.

"Mrs. Agreste, I am sorry. A dog attacked her, she got away, but a car came. It missed her, but the second one it..." Marinette signed.

"My sister is gone," Adrien signed.

  "What, my baby girl is dead?" Mrs. Agreste signed. She cried too at the sad turn of events.

   Three days later, was Lily's funeral which was hard on everyone. 

      Marinette did not know how to help Adrien. She was already in shock about never being a mother in her future.  Now, she had lost a friend and Adrien a sister.

    Adrien and Mrs. Agreste had lost a sister, and a sweet daughter. They both wept a lot together and gave each other hugs. 

      Alix stayed for the funeral out of respects for the family. She felt it was the least she could do under the circumstances.

     After the funeral, Marinette went and planted seeds of lilies outside the Agreste home, and a few in the field of tulips in memory of the girl who shared the name of the plants. It was her way of dealing with the loss. 

   The pastor knew sign language and gave his condolences to the family of the small child. He offered his services in counseling if they ever felt they would need it. He prayed for them as well. Then, once he was done with the funeral, he left.   

Despite the tragedy, Marinette and Adrien never broke up. They loved each other very much.