chapter 10

chapter 10 

Luke's POV 

"Hi, you've reached Sam, if I haven't answered I'm probably ignoring you. Leave a message." I sighed and turned my phone off before flopping down on my bed, the navy comforter surrounding me. I threw an arm over my eyes and let out a long groan of frustration. 

At the party, this girl whom I've never met took me upstairs. Me being the drunk fucktard that I am, I went with her and we almost had sex if it wasn't for Sam coming in. The heartbroken look on her face has been etched into my mind for the last two weeks. She won't answer my calls, anyone's for that matter. I talked to her friend at the salon and she said all that Sam does is come into work without saying a word and then goes home. 

Whenever I go to the salon to talk to her, she refuses to see me and locks herself in the back room. I've seen Sam, before she runs away from me, and she looks horrible. I mean, she still looks as beautiful as always, but her face shows pure exhaustion. Dark purple circles underlined her now dull eyes and a frown was permanently drawn on her face. 

"Leave a message." I finished listening to the voice mail and finally decided to leave a message. 

Sam's POV

My phone beeped and I looked over at it sitting on the counter before abandoning my laptop. I picked up my Apple device and sighed, noticing a voice mail from Luke. There were countless unanswered calls and he finally decided to leave a message. I clicked play and put it on speaker as I noticed my ramen noodles that had been cooking were done. I strained the noodles hearing him sigh through the message. Get on with it, Luke. 

 "Uh, hey Sam. I just wanted to see how you were?" He said more as a question and then sighed to himself. "Sam, I'm sorry. I know that I fucked up. I do that a lot." I sat down my bowl and just listened to him beat himself up over the phone. "I know that there is no excuse for what I did, honestly, I would have reacted the same way. I just hope that maybe someday you'll forgive me. I'll be at the coffee shop at the end of Broadway if you wanna come later. We can talk. Uh yeah, bye."

I sighed to myself and buried my head in my hands as the beep signalling the end of the message broke the silence of my apartment. I layed my head on the counter, mentally having an argument with myself about whether to go to the coffee shop or not. My phone rang and I lifted my head up assuming it was Luke. Justins' name flashed across the screen and my eyebrows furrowed; he never calls me. 

"Hello?" I asked and poured my noodles into a bowl. 

"Leanne, s-she, I d-don't know wh-what happ-happened." He sputtered out words so I couldn't understand him from the crying. 

"Justin what's going on?" I asked and set my bowl down, taking a bite. 

"We were just le-leaving the ca-cafe and a c-car came and it was too la-late. It-it should ha-have been me." He sobbed and I swallowed the lump in my throat. "She's gone." He cried and I felt my whole body freeze up. I dropped my phone, note even paying attention to the loud noise it made, hitting the wooden floor.

I pushed my chair back and slipped on my converse before running out the front door. I practically sprinted to the cafe down the street only to see police lights shining in the distance. Tears pricked my eyes as I got closer and saw Justin sobbing to himself on the sidewalk. I ran up to him, out of breath, and he pulled me into a tight hug. 

"I'm sorry. We weren't looking and it's my fault." He cried and I just pushed past him to see the police put a white sheet over my best friend on the middle of the street. 

Seeing that made the whole thing so much more real for me. I almost fell down seeing that. I backed up and bumped into someone behind me. I muttered a 'sorry' before adverting my gaze from the body on the crosswalk. I ran past Justin who kept apologizing to me and just ran back to my apartment. I closed the door behind me and closed my eyes, trying to get the image out of my head. 

My best friend since I was six is gone. She's dead. I walked up to my bathroom, almost falling up the steps, and turned the shower on. I peeled my clothes off and stepped into the scorching water. I sat down on the tiles, just looking at my now pink skin. 

Before I could even think, I had a blade in my hand. I stared down at the faded white lines on my wrists and let out a shaky breath before pressing the shiny object to my left wrist, just below Luke's name. I have been clean for about three years. When I was still in the orphanage and then going out onto my own, I wasn't even sure if I was going to make it. I was sent to the hospital multiple times for overdose or cutting too deep. 

My thoughts crept back to the dark corners of my mind as I pressed the addicting pain inflicting object against my wrist. I sucked in a breath as it broke the surface of my skin and beads of crimson rose in its place. My mind became fuzzy as I fell into the habit that I had tried so hard to break three years ago. There was blood running down my arms and the water around me was red. I finally sat the blade down and leaned back against the wall of the shower. I looked at at least twenty cuts I had made on my wrists and let out a hiss as the hot water stung my arms. 

"Sam?" I heard my name being called throughout the apartment but I was too weak to answer. "Sam, open up." I could tell the voice belonged to Luke as he pounded on the door. 

I let my eyes fall shut and took deep breaths. Maybe this will be the end and I can finally be at peace. Nobody will miss me. I don't have any family or friends left so what's the point. I could care less at this moment if I died right now. I just wanted the pain to end. 

"What did you do?" Was the last thing I heard after the door opened before I slipped into a calm darkness.