chapter 1

chapter 1 

"Morning, Sam." My co-worker Leanne greeted as I walked through the front door of the shop, not even looking up from the charts in front of her. 

"Morning." I said, taking a sip of my coffee. I went to the back room and sat my purse on the chair and hung my black pea coat on the hook along with Leanne's bright pink North Face. I pulled an elastic from my wrist and tied up my long brown hair into a messy ponytail before grabbing my waist-apron. I walked back out, the only sound in the salon being the clicking of my heels on the wooden floor. 

"How many clients do I have today?" I asked, and grabbed the large book of appointments that I had sitting on the front counter. 

"I think there's one about every hour." She said and began flicking through the pages of a magazine sat in front of her. "But someone called this morning and was adamant that he had you dye his hair today. He'll be here about nine." 

"Oh yay." I said sarcastically and leaned against the counter before taking another sip of coffee, my red lipstick staining the paper gas station cup. I crossed my ankles over each other and began flicking through a hair magazine. I've been thinking about dying my hair lately. My thoughts were interrupted by the front bell ringing, indicating that my 9 o'clock was here. I turned to the door and my breath hitched at the boy standing in front of me. It was the guy who pushed me out of the way yesterday. 

"I'm here to get my hair dyed." He said, slipping off his coat and putting it on the rack by the door. His muscles contracted against a tight shirt with some band on it and I almost choked. He was very attractive.

"Um, yeah. Follow me." I stuttered and spun around to walk to my area. He sat down in the chair and I put my foot on the push bar, making him rise up. I grabbed the black shawl thing and put it over his shirt, buttoning it in the back. "I never got your name." His eyes met mine in the mirror and I blushed a little under his intense gaze. 

"Sean" He stuttered but cleared his throat awkwardly. "Sean Hemmings." I let out a small sigh and my hand found my wrist, my fingers running over the covered tattoo. "And you are?" He smirked a little, looking me up and down. 

"Sam." I sighed out and coughed a little before running my fingers through his thick hair. "Why do you want to dye your hair? It looks nice blonde." I laughed a little and he shrugged. 

"I've been thinking about a change for a while now. I'm thinking black." 

"Like black lowlights?" I asked and Sean shook his head. 

"No, like black all over." 

"Like black, black?" I asked and he nodded, confirming what he wanted. I cocked an eyebrow at his strange choice but he just smiled at me through the mirror. "Alright, well, if that's what you want. I'll be back in a minute." 

I walked to the back room and began getting the dye ready. As the water started running, my thoughts drifted to the marking on my wrist. You see, everyone gets a tattoo the day they are born on their wrist. It is always the name of your soul mate. Usually everyone finds their lover by the time they are seventeen. I'm not so lucky. I'm already twenty-one and I still haven't found mine. I wonder what Sean has on his wrist. I shook the thought from my head and finished up with the dark dye. 

"You sure about this?" I asked, grabbing the brush for the dye. Sean nodded and I sighed a little before grabbing the bleach. I put it all in his hair and he asked me some questions here and there, mostly along the lines of his hair and other than that it was silent. I knew that Leanne was watching us. She was the only person, besides my parents, that knows about the name on my wrist. I always cover it up with bracelets or a long sleeve shirt. 

After washing out the bleach I began on the black dye sitting in the small bowl on my rolly table. I was concentrating on not getting the dye on his forehead when I felt like someone was looking at me. I looked into the mirror to see him looking at me, a small smirk on his face. 

"Do you remember me?" He asked in a cocky tone and I rolled my eyes, dipping my brush in the dye. 

"I think I'd remember someone who pushed me down in the middle of a crosswalk." I muttered and put the dye on a piece of hair in the back before folding the aluminum foil over it. He laughed and it was like my heart stopped. 

"Well, if I hadn't your guts would be all over that crosswalk." He joked and I rolled my eyes finishing up another piece. 

"I told you thanks but you just walked away." I put the brush in the bowl and told him to follow me. He sat down in one of the chairs in a separate room and I put the giant bowl thing over his aluminum wrapped head and turning it on. The machine came to life and I left him to himself with his phone. I walked to the front and Leanne sadly smiled at me. 

"I'm never going to find him." I muttered and ran a hand through my hair. 

"It'll happen when it's supposed to, hun." She said and gave my shoulder a squeeze. "Everything will turn out okay." 

I sighed and nodded, thinking about Leanne. She has been with her soul mate since they were in middle school. He was the new kid at her school and she decided to become friends with him. The ended up discovering each others tattoos the day after they met and have been together ever since. To say I was jealous would be pretty accurate. Everyone around me has already found the love of their life. When will I find mine?