DITCHING

DITCHING

Christmas break has come and gone and wouldn't you know it's a new year, but once again I find myself at school. It's eight in the morning, gym started ten minutes ago. I'm currently hauled up in the girl's bathroom.

Gym has been one of the only classes I haven't skipped, but that stops today. The volleyball season is staring soon and the gym teacher is pressuring me to try out. It turns out I have a wicked spike, that's about it though. But every time she sees me she brings up the fact that tryouts are starting. I plan on skipping gym until the tryouts are over.

But wouldn't I know it that luck just isn't on my side. I'm currently sitting on the sink counter reading my book when the door opens.

Evelyn: "Yep, he's totally into me."

The conversation seized when Evelyn noticed me. I faintly recognized the two girls behind her. They're in my art class.

Evelyn: "Skipping class, Freya?"

Me: ". . ."

I ignored her and jumped down from the sink. I picked up my bag from the floor and slumped it over my shoulder.

Evelyn: "Don't leave, Freya. It's a public bathroom after all."

Me: ". . ."

Evelyn: "Silent as usual."

Me: ". . ."

Evelyn: "So, what happened to you at the dance? Found a guy to take home?"

Me: ". . ."

My fists clenched, I so badly wanted to fight back. Tell her to just mind her own business, of course with a few colorful words thrown in.

But I just pushed past her to the door.

Evelyn: "Hold it, we aren't done talking."

I paused but didn't turn to look at her.

Evelyn: "Leave Gavin alone, understand? I don't know why he cares about you, but he's my boyfriend."

Me: ". . ."

I pushed open the door and walked out. Gavin cares.