CRAZY ART FANTASIES

CRAZY ART FANTASIES

I was looking forward to art. I couldn't wait for art all day. Mostly because I didn't have to do a thing. I had an A for the rest of the marking period. I could take a nap for all he cares. But that would be rude.

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde: "Today you will pick a little slip of paper out of the soccer ball."

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde came around the classroom, each kid grabbing a slip of paper from the deflated soccer ball.

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde: "Freya, read your paper out loud first."

Me: "Bird."

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde: "Heather next."

Heather: "Book."

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde: "Skyler, go."

Skyler: "Rose."

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde: "Gavin?"

Gavin: "Football."

And so on until everyone read out there paper.

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde: "This is your assignment for the first marking period. You will take your word and transform it into a deeper meaning. For example, I pick tree. I can draw any type of tree I'd like, but now I must give it emotion. I could draw a willow tree with it's leaves bleeding. Or maybe use different objects to create my tree. I must take it and give it a new life. Any questions?"

Hands shot up, but I didn't pay them any notice. This assignment was too easy. All I have to do is give my bird a deeper meaning.

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde: "I don't care how it's done, drawn, sculpture, 3D art. Don't care as long as it's art. You can make it graffiti for all I care."

He just made it easier.

I pulled out my phone and began researching birds. Which bird would I use?

I spent nearly the whole period looking at bird species. I wasn't a great artist, so I had to pick an easy looking bird. I picked a Humming Bird. Probably a bad idea, but I like Humming Birds.

I pulled up a picture on my phone and began to sketch it in my notebook. By the time the bell rang I had a bunch of half erased lines. I sighed and ripped out the sheet. Crumbling it and throwing it in the basket.

All through science I fantasized about what I could turn my Hummingbird into. The more I thought about it the harder it seemed to get. How do I make a bird have a deeper meaning? I wish I got tree.

Random Guy: "Pst, Freya?"

Me: "..."

Random Guy: "Pst, Freya?"

I felt something hit me in the back of my head. Slowly turning around I saw Gavin getting ready to shoot another paper ball at me.

I arched an eyebrow at him, entirely confused at what was happening.

He got up and sat next to me at my lab table.

Gavin: "So, you're smart, right?"

Me: "..." I shrugged my shoulders.

Gavin: "I have no idea what to do about my art project. I got a football. How do I add a deeper meaning to a football?"

Me: "..." I shrugged again.

Gavin: "Come on, please help me?" He whined.

I had an idea, it probably wasn't good, but what the hell.

I took out my notebook and began sketching. I probably should have been paying attention to my science teacher, but she was boring.

I sketched an out line of the football, then tried having the leather of the football peeling back to reveal the inside.

I showed Gavin the sketch.

Me: "You could draw different things inside the football or maybe write words that mean something to you."

Gavin: "Wow, thanks Freya."

He ripped out my sketch and went back to his seat.

Now if only I could figure out something for my bird.