FANTASTICAL TEACHERS

Teachers. Teachers come in all shapes and sizes, each one has an unique personality that was colored in by a three year old. A bunch of scribbles, but not quiet the same as the previous scribble.

My gym teacher, like other cliché gym teachers, wore a track suit and had an odd fascination with her whistle. Even though our gym class only sat on the bleachers while the gym teacher yammered on she still found reasons to blow that whistle. Idiotic reasons.

Miss Whistle Blower: "You will only get half credit if you change, you must participate." She repeated for the umpteenth time.

My English teacher, he's a young guy. Well in his thirties young. But younger then most teachers here. Except it turns out he's the girl's lacrosse and basketball coach. My English teacher doubles as the girls' sport coach. The school must be low on money.

English Coach: "If you come out with anything from this class, it will be with a better understanding of literature. I want you all to have a deeper passion for literature by the end of the year." He'd be a bad motivational speaker.

And old lady with a wrinkled skirt stood at the front of my math class. My math teacher wasn't here, on the first day of school.

Old Lady: "Your math teacher wanted to be here, but she's currently in labor as we speak. So she'll be out for a few months." TMI, you could have just said she was having a baby.

My history teacher, or should I say global teacher, was odd. He stood at the front of the room with his legs crossed, yet still standing straight. He kept babbling about how this class wasn't focused on the United States but the whole world. Lets vote on how much of this year will just be spent on Europe.

Global Man: "This class doesn't focus on the United States. This class is to teach you about the whole world and the U.S has only been around for two hundred years. Places like Rome and Paris have been around centuries before the U.S." Did he mention Asia?

Now for lunch. I wasn't stupid, I know that you don't bring your lunch on the first day. Mostly because I'm not sure of the style yet. Do they buy lunch or brown bag it here. Maybe they have designer lunch boxes here. You can never tell. You don't want to be the only one with a brown bag when everyone else is buying lunch.

When I got into the lunch room everyone was buying lunch. The lines were thirty people long. I honestly wasn't too hungry, I could wait until I got home to eat. Standing in a line full of sweaty, shoving, rude teenagers didn't sound particularly fun.

Instead I looked for the right spot to eat. I scanned the cafeteria, looking for a mildly friendly face that I could approach. The only face I found was Evelyn's. She was sitting at a table with a few other students looking extremely bored. What the hell, right?

Evelyn: "Oh, hey Freya, I was totally just wondering where you were. Come sit next to me." She patted the seat next to her. "Everyone here, is so boring. Look, they're all reading. I can't even hold up a conversation with any of them..." She continued to drone on and I just nodded now and then.

I was thankful for when lunch ended. Who knew it could be the most tiring thirty minutes of the day.