Chapter Sixteen

••• Alex Carter •••

I ran out of the cafeteria after her, I saw her shift into her beautiful all black wolf and run into the forest. I shifted and tried to follow her but I couldn't keep up, how was she so fast? By the time I arrived back at the back house I'd lost sight of her, I shifted and threw on a pair of basketball shorts I found on the ground used for these occasions and followed her intoxicating scent upstairs to her bedroom door. I paused, what was I going to say? The scene replayed again in my head and my wolf howled at our mate's pain. She'd told Tammy she was a sex slave, that would explain the scars and her new shy personality.

She was broken and in pain when she arrived and I did what, I treated her like she was nothing. I fucked up, I've destroyed her more than she was when she came here. She needed me and I rejected her, I don't deserve her, she's like this because of me. I sat down against the wall opposite her door with my head buried in my hands, I did this, this is my fault. I could of walked her home, she could of been safer, she wouldn't of been taken.

"Alex I'm so sorry" My mother's voice interrupted my thoughts, I felt the damp tears on my cheeks as I looked up at her.

"This is my fault" I croaked, she shook her head.

"No, Vladislav took her. He did this, not you" She said firmly as she sat down, she rubbed my shoulders affectionately.

"I don't deserve her, I've treated her like shit when she needed me most" I said again and my wolf howled in agreement. We need to see her he said pained.

"I'll admit that wasn't one of your brightest moments" Mum winced, I would of rolled my eyes but I couldn't stop thinking about Colette's face before she left the school.

"You need to speak to her" She said, I looked up and nodded. She was right, Colette needs me, I have to be there for her. Screw everything else, my mate come's first. I love her and I won't let her down this time. I stood up and knocked on the door, silence returned, the rooms were sound proof but I was still worried. I knocked again louder this time. Nothing.

I tried opening the door but it wouldn't budge, I looked back at Mum who's face had gone considerably pale.

"Colette open up" She screamed banging on the door. Nothing.

"I'll go get your father, you keep trying" She yelled running down the hall, I banged again on the door and tried to open it using my wolf strength. It was like she'd blocked her self in. I ran down the stairs and outside, I could see her bedroom window and thankfully she'd left it open, I ran up to the wall and froze. I could feel Colette through the bond, she was so sad it caused my wolf pain, I could feel her sadness and depression as I climbed the wall and into her empty bedroom. I felt her give up.

I quickly ran over to the door, it was barricaded by her bed, I yanked it over to the wall and the door swung open. Dad walked in and I turned, water flooded from Colette's bathroom, my breathing hitched as I slowly opened the door.

"Shit" I cursed and ran over to the bath tub, I yanked her body of of the boiling water and cursed again at the temperature. She had her eyes closed and scars covered her naked body, my mate lay naked in all her glory and I was to scared to look, everywhere on her body there were scars. Mum sobbed at the sight and covered her over with a towel, Dad tried to console her but there was no use, the damage was done, and I had been at the heart of it.

I started doing chest compressions when I realised she wasn't breathing, her heart beat was slowly fading, no, she won't leave me. I growled and pressed my lips on hers blowing air down her windpipe, she started coughing and water spluttered out from her mouth. Her eyes were still closed, I breathed a sigh of relief, she was okay. I gently kissed her forehead and her eyes fluttered open.