Chapter Nine

When I woke up Alex was gone, the sheets were cold and I never felt so alone. Memories of last night came flooding back and I smiled instantly. How he pulled me into his arms and held me as I cried into his shoulder. He even stayed with me that night, and I didn't have a single nightmare after that. I had never slept so good, I sat up slowly and yawned looking over at the alarm clock on my bedside table. The time read 11:37am, my eyes widened and I stumbled out of bed to my closet. I was so late, a part of me was upset that Alex hadn't even got me up when he left for school, did he really hate me that much? It didn't feel like it last night, he seemed like he cared for me, like he was genuinely upset at what happened. I shook the thoughts away, no, he didn't care, if he did he would of stayed or at least woken me up.

I quickly took a shower and got dressed, wearing a pair of black jeans and over sized hoodie and a pair of black uggs. The whole outfit covering up any amount of skin, so that no scars were showing, I hated it how they stared at them in p.e. I don't like it when people stare, it usually means they want something. I looked around the room for my bag but couldn't find it. I walked down the stairs to the kitchen thinking I probably left it there and froze when I walked in.

Alex was sitting at the island in the middle of the kitchen munching on a bowl of cereal, he looked up at me and stared, his black eye already fading away. My breathing hitched and my heart quickened under his gaze, he smirked knowingly and I felt myself blush. I looked away at the floor, I just wanted to get my bag and get to school. I looked around quickly but couldn't see my bag anywhere. Alex cleared his throat and I froze.

"You're not going to school" He said in a firm voice, I looked at him confused. What did he mean?
"What?" I asked him, he shrugged and went back to his cereal.
"You're not going to school, you hit your head pretty hard yesterday, so I thought I'd let you sleep in" Alex said calmly. He left so I could sleep in, that's actually quite sweet of him. I smiled but shook my head at him. 

"I have already missed too much of school, and I am fine anyway" I said quietly. He looked at me again and I squirmed under his gaze.
"You're not going" He told me getting up and putting his bowl in the sink. I sighed and left the kitchen to go find my bag. I found it in the hall and slung it over my shoulder, I turned around and Alex was leaning up against the front door blocking my exit. He had a smirk over his face and I sighed again, I just really wanted to get to school.

"Please let me through" I asked quietly, he shook his head. Why was he doing this anyway?
"No, you've hurt your head and you're not going. Go put your bag back okay?" Alex said again, I was confused. Why couldn't he just just let me go? I'd missed so much school and I could barely keep up as it is, I can't miss any more just because I 'bumped' my head. 

"I am fine Alex, just let me go to school" I tried to reason with him taking a small step forward, he stood up straighter as he watched my approach. I took a deep breath and walked over to the door trying to ignore my bodies cries to be near him, he looked down at me and stared. I kept my eyes fixed on the door, I didn't want to look at him. I reached for the handle and his large hand came down on mine, I froze and stared at it. Sparks flew up my arm and my breathing grew ragged under his touch, the feeling reminded me of last night, when he hugged me as I cried into his shoulder. I felt so utterly and completely safe in his arms it made me forget about everything. About Vladislav.

He carefully lifted my hand off the door handle and looked down at me. I kept my eyes on the floor not wanting to meet his gaze, to my delight he still held his hand in mine. He gently rubbed small circles over my skin with his thumb, my breathing hitched at the contact. I swallowed and tried to control my heartbeat which I knew he could hear.

"You okay Col, your heart's beating pretty fast" Alex said softly cocking his head to the side, I kept my eyes on the floor. He heard it, he'd heard my heartbeat.
"Mm fine" I mumbled reluctantly pulling my hand away from his and finally meeting his gaze. His eyes were playful and he had a small smirk on his face.