6. Sixth Lesson

I opened my eyes, blinking slowly. I didn't have a clue of where I was. That rarely mattered these last few years of my life, but for once I felt uncomfortable. Sitting up in the leather sofa, I wrapped the blanket around me. The room was pitch dark, but the feel of leather beneath my fingers made me remember. 

Matthews' office. 

I scrambled up from the sofa and threw the blanket off my shoulders. A loud bang broke the silence as I crashed into something that toppled over, falling to the floor. 

Damn. 

Someone lit a lamp in an adjacent room I hadn't noticed before. 

I stood like a startled deer, unable to move and just watching as Matthews appeared in the doorway. 

"You're awake," he said. It didn't sound as if had been asleep--his voice was too clear.  

"Evidently."

"If you're calm, I'll take you home." 

I didn't know how I felt about that. One reason was that I didn't want to owe him anything, another that I didn't like the thought of being alone in a car with him, lastly, I didn't want him to know where I lived. I knew it was silly, especially since he hadn't done anything to make me distrust him so far. 

"It's alright. My place isn't far away," I lied. 

"It's four AM, and this isn't the best neighborhood, so please don't argue about this." He picked up his coat, as if it was already decided. 

"I think I can handle it, and I think I can find my way out." I just wanted to get out of his presence. It was too heavy, like he dominated the room even when he was standing still in silence. 

He didn't answer, instead he held the door open for me. Gulping down the ball of unease that had lodged in my throat, I stepped past him out into the corridor. 

He guided me through the building, not saying another word. I began to think that he might just show me the way out and that I was off the hook. 

I shouldn't have been so naive. As soon as we went outside into the cold air, he placed his coat over my shoulders and took hold of my hand. Mine burned in his. It wasn't just a tingle of awareness or unease, it was fire. 

"Look, I wasn't going to say this in the middle of the night like this, but I have a proposition for you," Matthews said. 

I didn't even want to know, so I didn't ask. 

That didn't seem to matter, because he continued. "I'm going to offer you a job. It doesn't have anything to do with the club, because honestly, you're not ready for that."

"I don't need a job." The lie slipped past my lips. I had to get a job, otherwise I would be out on the street in a matter of days, but I wasn't desperate enough to take on an offer from this man.

"I think you do. I talked to Lisa, if you remember. She didn't say anything out right, but it doesn't take a fool to see that you're in some kind of trouble."

He waited for me to reply, but I didn't know what to say. A sleek black car blinked in the dark. I winced. I shouldn't get into that thing, but it was damn difficult to say no to the guy. 

His hold around my hand became firm and then looser again. A squeeze. As if to reassure me. It didn't work. 

Opening the car door, he waved for me to get inside. 

I gave up. The easiest way to get out of this situation was to let him have his way and drive me somewhere that wasn't my apartment. Grudgingly, I sat down in the seat and tried to relax. It wouldn't do me any good if he saw how nervous I was.