43. Forty-Third Lesson

Rummaging around in the kitchen, I found enough ingredients to make a salad. It would be fast, simple and hopefully, Tilia wouldn't object too much. I was still chopping away when the door opened.

"Ethan!" Tilia dashed into the kitchen, crashing into me with a big smile on her face.

"Tilia, your shoes, honey." Matthews became visible in the doorway, shaking his head at the scene. He was smiling, though, so the scolding didn't work very well.

"Sorry, Daddy." She sat down on the floor and removed her shoes, grinning at me as she threw them in the direction of the hallway.

"Tilia!"

The little angel blushed, rose and fetched her shoes.

Matthews shook his head again as she rushed to the hallway. "I don't know what's happened. She's not usually like this."

"She seems excited."

"Yes. An understatement." He walked over to the counter. "What are you making?" His arm slipped around my back, and I warmed beneath his touch. It was a simple gesture, and I wondered if he knew how much it affected me.

"A salad. Hope that's okay."

"Of course. I'll help."

Tilia joined us, and in her presence, it felt easier to momentarily forget about all the troubles waiting for us in the world outside. In here, we were sheltered—an oasis where it was more important to keep Tilia happy than to sink down into the chaos that threatened to overwhelm me.

As we sat down to eat, Matthews asked Tilia a bunch of questions about her day, and she answered with such delight that it was impossible not to smile along with her. I allowed myself to forget about Jace, if only for twenty minutes, but it was enough to settle my nerves.

After the light meal, Tilia rushed away, and we heard her from her corner in the living room. She was playing house with her dolls, giving them voices and organizing a tea party. It was adorable.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Matthews asked. He didn't need to elaborate, I already knew what he meant.

"Not tonight."

He reached out to touch my hand. "Do you want to watch a movie or something?"

I almost laughed at the unusual normality. I had never watched a movie with someone, not like that, never in a romantic sense. It a something that I never thought I would experience. I had watched plenty of movies in my past, but always either coming down from a high or during a high. The movie was never the main event. Watching with Tilia didn't count.

"Sure. As long as I don't have to sing along."

Matthews laughed, and I wondered if I would ever start thinking of him as Marc. It felt strange. Not because I disliked the name, but even so. Marc. I tried it again.

"You won't have to sing, but I can't say what Tilia will do."

"Marc..."

"What?"

"Sorry, nothing." I blushed. I hadn't meant to say it like that.

"No, tell me?" He seemed amused.

"Just trying your name."

He laughed again. "Trying my name? Wait, that's right, you've never actually said Marc. I like it." He squeezed my hand. "Let's go watch something."

We ended up in the sofa upstairs where Tilia usually watched all her favorites. Matthews...Marc handed me a couple of DVDs to choose from. I had no idea what would be good but picked one with an interesting title.