2. Second Lesson

"What happened?"

Lisa put down her cup of coffee, gesturing me to sit down across the table. 

I didn't know what to say. She was as innocent as they came, even with the work she had. Sometimes I wanted to ask her how she got into her profession, but it never seemed like the right time. In fact, I knew virtually nothing about her, while she knew plenty about me. Perhaps that was the reason I didn't want to tell her more. I wasn't her patient, and I didn't have to justify my choices in front of her. 

"It went well."

"You know, if you would actually tell me exactly what went well, we might stand a chance at having a discussion that's worthwhile." She arched an eyebrow for effect. 

"Fair point, but I'd like to go. You finished with your drink?" 

Lisa rolled her eyes, stood up and grabbed her jacket from the chair. "You should see someone about those manners of yours." 

I grinned. I knew she couldn't resist me if I put on my charmer mode. I knew my manners were bad, and I knew I was being an ass to her, but I felt cornered.

I didn't do well in corners. 

On the way out, I stole a look at the establishment across the street. Nothing on the outside gave away what kind of club it was. I liked that. It was stealthy. Undercover. It suited me just fine. I stuck my hand down my pocket and grabbed the small piece of paper. He asked me to call that number later. One part of me had no intention of calling, while the other part was curious. 

Snapping out of my thoughts, I saw Lisa stomping off towards the metro station without looking back. 

I really upset her this time, great. 

"Lisa, wait." I jogged a couple of steps and caught up. 

"You know, sometimes I wish I didn't like you," she muttered. 

"You love me!" I tried my biggest smile, hoping that she wouldn't see how much it hurt that she was disappointed. 

"Actually, Ethan, I don't. Not always, and definitely not now." 

There it was: that hollow feeling that seemed to empty my insides. Like a vacuum sweeping things clean. It was an odd kind of pain. I smiled again. That hurt, too, but in a different way. 

It was tempting to take away the pain and thoughts. Very tempting. 

-----

Light turned to dark, hours passed and the pain remained. I couldn't handle being inside, so I sat in the park, watching people go by shaking their heads. I wondered how they knew. They were right to take a few steps to the side when they saw me. A few months ago, I would have pulled out a knife and asked for their cash. 

Politely of course. 

Except, I didn't do polite...

Slouching down, I pulled up the note from my jeans and read the number again. Mistress Jenna, he had said as he gave me the folded piece of paper. 

Apparently, she was expecting my call. 

My phone started to burn in my pocket.  I had no reason to prolong my misery; I was just being silly. I knew the choices stood between calling, or walking off to the guy standing at the corner. I even had enough cash in my pocket for once. I would have a great night; a great high. 

Shaking my head, I pulled out the phone and dialed the number before I had time to stop myself. 

After a few rings, I was ready to hang up. Then the dial tone broke, and a mechanic-like voice answered, "Yes."