44. Forty-Fourth Lesson

Over the next two days, I became increasingly anxious about the situation with Jace. Matthews...Marc had the patience of a saint, but I didn't share that trait. I was aware that we had to form some sort of plan before we tried to get him out of there, especially since I refused to get the police involved. If we did, Jace would most likely end up in prison. Even so, I wanted him out of there as soon as possible, afraid that he would be ruined once we tried to help.

Marc talked with the guys that worked with security at his club, but they weren't all that cooperative. Apparently, Sam had gathered somewhat of a reputation around the city. Marc's solution was to consider sacking the team, but I tried to tell him that it was a bad idea. We didn't need to make another set of buff guys angry.

Around lunch time, I got a message from Marc that he was coming home. Tilia and I were playing a game of Monopoly, and I tried very hard not to laugh when she took it too seriously.

I thought it odd that he would be home already, since he left mere hours ago, saying that he'd be home by midnight. I wasn't complaining, however. More time with him was just a bonus.

Tilia threw a six and moved her piece across the board, pouting when she landed on my slot.

"Some rent, please."

"This is boring, Ethan." She said that every time she landed on one of my properties. The opposite happened when I landed on one of hers.

"Marc will be here in a bit. Should we make him lunch?"

"But we're playing," she said, clearly not too bored with the game yet.

"I bet you're hungry though, aren't you?"

She patted her stomach. "No. It's not making sounds."

I laughed. "It doesn't need to make sounds."

"Yes it does."

"Nope. Come on, let's look what we have in the fridge."

She perked up at that. "Can I choose?"

"Maybe. Depends on what you're choosing."

She frowned. "That's unfair."

I laughed again. "Definitely unfair, but I doubt Marc wants pancakes for lunch."

Rolling her eyes, she got up from the floor and trudged to the kitchen. I could hear her open the fridge. "Ethan, it's empty."

"I hope not." I got up and joined her. Peering into the fridge, I realized what she meant. It wasn't empty, but definitely lacking a couple of things.

"Your daddy better do some shopping."

She smiled at me. "Can he buy candy then? Please, Ethan."

I was about to tease her for being a kid, but then I remembered that she actually was. She could act very mature at times, but she plenty of childhood left.

"We can call and ask," I suggested.

She skipped away to the phone and returned to me, placing it in my hand. "I don't know his number."

I dialed the number and gave her the phone. She chewed her lip as if preparing to ask a question she knew he didn't want to hear. The fidgeting continued until he answered.

"Hi, Daddy."

I couldn't hear what he replied.

"Ethan says you have to get food, but I want candy."

She shook her head. "No, food and candy."

Her shoulders slumped. "Okay." She gave me the phone and crossed her arms, looking up at me as if she wanted me to solve the situation.