The Wings of Change

This chapter is based heavily, almost word for word, on two scenes, one from Season 4 Episode 9 and one from Season 4 Episode 10. I am not responsible for spoilers in the comments.

The brothers had just taken a brutal beating back in the church by a seriously high-level demon. Sam was currently stitching up a shoulder wound with string and a paper clip and Dean was cleaning as much of the blood off of himself as he could.

"You almost done?" Dean's breathing was ragged.

Sam winced in pain as he pulled the needle through again. "I'm going as fast as I can."

"Good cause ya know I got a dislocated shoulder over here."

"Yeah!" Sam's voice spiked in pain. "I'll pop it back when I'm finished."

Dean took a swig from a bottle of alcohol in the room as Sam snipped off the remaining string and then gestured for Dean to give him the alcohol. Dean reluctantly handed it over and Sam winced, gritting his teeth, as he poured it over his wound.

"So you lost the magic knife huh?"

"Yeah saving your butt." Sam snapped. "Who the heck was that demon?"

Dean's face fell slightly, but Sam wasn't watching. "No one good. We got to find Anna."

Anna- the girl who was tuned into angel radio and proving to be a lot more trouble than anticipated. But she was sweet and seemed innocent to everything that was going on, including the fact that she was wanted by both heaven and hell.

"Ruby's got her. I'm sure she's okay." Sam's breathing was shaky with pain. "All right come on."

He stood up and walked behind Dean. He only counted to one before popping Dean's shoulder back into place, causing Dean to yell out in pain. The older brother walked off in pain towards the sink and Sam sat on the bed applying pressure to his shoulder wound.

"This is turning out to be more than we thought it would." Sam spoke slowly, unsure of how he felt about his own plan that was forming. "Maybe we should call in Marley for some backup."

Every muscle in Dean went tense as he spun around to look at Sam like he was insane.

"Are you out of your mind?! We almost get killed by a demon and now you want to bring Marley in on this?"

"I don't want to Dean, but we need all the help we can get and Bobby's working a case."

"This is a war zone Sam. Heaven. Hell. They're coming for Anna and everyone else is collateral damage." Dean walked towards his brother with an ice pack on his shoulder. "If you bring her into this you are giving her a death sentence."

"Why do you even care, Dean? I thought you hated her."

"I don't care about her Sammy, I care about you. And if you ask for her help on this and she gets hurt, or worse, you would blame yourself. And I'm not going to let you have that on your conscience. So please don't ask her to come here."

Sam was silent for a minute before he sighed and looked away. "I know. You're right."

Dean nodded finally relaxing. "She would be really pissed at us though for not letting her help."

He said it with a smirk and Sam let out a small chuckle as he nodded in agreement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A day later and the war was still going on. The brothers, Anna, and Ruby were all hiding out at an abandoned farm.

Dean walked through the barn doors and stopped in his tracks when he saw Uriel standing in front of him with his hands in his pockets.