Blood and Bacon

Brian Mason was a normal guy. Beautiful wife who could bake a mean apple crisp, 3 demonic kids all under the age of ten and a decently exciting job as a journalist. But he had a secret, a secret that doomed him to die.

However, Mr. Mason knew of no such peril and was in fact, just walking home (Mr. Mason was a firm believer in walking for one's health) from The Globe when it happened.

A noise came from behind him.

Like every other human being with a sense for danger, he whipped around. His briefcase twisting in his hand. Scared blue eyes darted back and forth across the dimly lit street but he saw nothing. Shoulders tensed, he slowly turned back around.

The noise came again. A sharp grating sound that shook Mr. Mason to his core. As he turned sharply on his heel, to peer behind him once again, the handle of his briefcase twisted violently in his grip before sliding right out of his hand.

It hit the ground with a thud and the poorly made latch snapped, thrusting out his papers into the night.

"NO!" Mr. Mason wailed hopelessly forgetting the noise momentarily in his anguish over losing a week's worth of rough drafts and interviews. He snatched as many papers as he could while some drifted lazily onwards down the street

That's when a new noise rose in the air.

And this one sent a bolt of fear down his spine.

He had heard a growl. A bloodthirsty, deep throated, terrifying growl.

He cast a small glance over his shoulder and saw what appeared to be a wolf slinking in the shadows. The only part he could clearly see was a set of deep, bright blue eyes glinting from the light of the moon overhead. With that quick glance he sprinted away. A part of him knew he'd never make it. But maybe...MAYBE a car would come and scare-

A force that was the equivalent to that of a few well thrown bricks hit him in the back and he fell flat on his stomach. He painfully tried to crawl away from the monster but he felt every inch of the claws as they dug through his thin steel grey jacket. He gasped as the razor sharp nails pierced the base of his neck and slowly ripped downwards. A scream was torn from his lips. Blood oozed down his back and he felt his flesh being peeled back as the monster tore out its claws and left him breathing heavily with cheek smashed against the pavement.

He felt it's breath on his neck.

It's mouth hovering over the back of his throat.

He opened his mouth to scream.

But he was too late.

The monster bit down, crunching on the bones.

Mason's blue eyes glazed over, his body limp as the monster released his neck from its jaws.

Then it was gone. As quickly as it had come. Leaving behind what was left of Brian Mason and a few blood splattered pages.

Eventually a car did come by, it's yellow headlights flashing over the remains.

But it came far too late.

Some secrets have bloody endings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marley huffed as she plopped behind the steering wheel of the black 2005 Chevy Malibu. It was plain, it was boring, and it let her fly under the radar, just like the company wanted. She cracked her neck and rolled her shoulders getting all of the kinks out. The Motel 6 beds were not exactly 3 star worthy. Probably not even 2 stars if she was giving an honest review.

She jammed the keys in the ignition and started the drive back to base. She never called it home. It had never felt like that for her. Yeah she slept there but so did other coworkers and her boss on occasion. Marley ran a hand down her face as she continued driving, trying to rub the sleep out of her eyes. It has been a long night and as previously mentioned, the bed situation did not help. Under the corner of her right eye she felt something. Her steel gray eyes flicked to the rear view mirror as she looked to see what it was. An eye roll quickly followed as she realized it was just a speck of blood. She licked her thumb and wiped it off.