A Whole New World

This chapter takes place during Season 5 Episode 4. I am not responsible for spoilers in the comments.

Note:
This takes place during the last chapter, so this is kind of like "Meanwhile..."

The Croatoan Virus. That was what would wipe them out— 5 years from now. Dean glared at the nail he was trying to dig out of the wooden floor, willing it to just pop out already. All he had to say was that future him was a real jerk.

"Ah." The nail pulled free with a slight squeak.

Finally, after two freaking hours, the nail was free. Comparatively, unlocking the handcuffs with the nail was a cake walk. Dean got to his feet and shoved open the screen door, walking out into the early morning light. He wanted to get a look around and see what was happening. It's not every day that you get blasted to the future by the power of an angel and run into your future self. But he had barely taken two steps off of the porch before a voice sounded behind him.

"Hey Dean. You got a second?"

Deans eyes widened slightly as he recognized the man walking towards him. Chuck. How the heck had he lasted in the apocalypse this long?

"No." But he quickly changed his answer, realizing it was probably better to play along that he was the Dean this man thought he was. "Yes. I-I guess. Hi Chuck."

"Hi. So uh, listen, we're pretty good on canned goods for now, but we're down on next to nothing on perishables and hygiene supplies." Dean's brow was furrowed in confusion. Why was he being told this? "People are not gonna be happy about this. So, what do you think we should do?"

"I-I don't know." Dean licked his lips nervously and confusion flickered through Chuck's eyes. "Maybe, uh, share? You know like in a kibbutz."

Chuck stared at Dean, his mouth hanging slightly open. Meanwhile Dean offered a tiny smile, as if his idea was really not horrible.

"Wait a minute. Aren't you supposed to be out on a mission right now?" Chuck looked at Dean, confusion swimming through his eyes once more.

"Absolutely." Dean nodded his head, trying to reassure the suspicious man. "And I will be."

Further conversation was cut off as Dean felt someone jump up onto his back, causing him to stumble forward slightly, but he quickly regained balance. Their legs wrapped around his waist and their arms were thrown over his shoulders in a piggy back ride fashion.

"Thought you said you were going to be gone longer." The woman's voice spoke.

Dean flinched slightly as lips pressed against his cheek in a quick, affectionate hello. She then hopped off of his back and Dean turned around to face her.

"Marley." It came out halfway between a statement and a question.

It was Marley. Slightly older, but definitely her. Her caramel hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail, a few loose wisps of hair that had escaped their hold framed her face. She wore the same military style clothes that everyone, well the few people he had seen, seemed to be wearing. She stared at him, a loose smile on her face, and her nose twitched ever so slightly.

"Hey Chuck, do you mind if I borrow Dean here for a minute?"

"Uh- yeah no problem." He turned before walking away and muttering to himself. "Guess I'll figure this out myself."

A smile tugged Marley's lips up ever so slightly and she reached out and grabbed Dean's hand in her own. Dean looked down at their interlaced fingers, slightly surprised.