An adjustment

Damien

I had to learn to adjust to Belle as myself. I didn't have the beast to hide behind anymore. It's different when you don't hide anymore. People see your true self, along with your vulnerability. For years, I treated people poorly. After living like a beast, I became humbled.

I gave Belle space in the house as I kept myself busy. I spent time in the conservatory or went for a walk. I also picked up the music boxes, delivering them to people. Belle didn't say much as I sighed.

I didn't know how to act like a human. I didn't want to push Belle, and I didn't want to neglect her either. I sat in my chair in the living room as Belle came out of the library, reading a book. I went to say something, and she went into the kitchen. She came back, and I attempted to speak, but she went back into the library.

Okay, I can't do this. I walked into the library as Belle sat in a chair, reading. I looked at her and asked, "What are you reading?"

"A book," Belle answered, not looking at me.

"Is it any good?" I asked.

"It's okay," Belle replied, shrugging.

I crept to Belle. "What's the story?" I inquired.

Belle looked at me as I stood there, nervously.

"It's about a man who is afraid to allow himself to enjoy happiness," Belle said.

"Oh," I said, confused.

Belle closed the book and stood up, walking over to me as I stood there. I looked at her sheepishly.

"Damien, I know it worries you that you may resort to your past behavior, but you're not that man anymore," Belle reassured me.

Belle took my hands in her hands as I looked at her.

"You don't need to avoid me," Belle said.

"I wasn't avoiding you," I said.

Belle arched an eyebrow at me.

"Okay, perhaps I was avoiding you, but I didn't want to do anything that made you uncomfortable," I reasoned.

Belle let go of my hands and placed her palms on my face, pulling me into a kiss. I deepened the kiss as I picked her up, carrying her out of the library.

*******
Belle

Damien carried me upstairs, bridal-style, and took me his bedroom. He laid me on the bed, never breaking our kiss. We slowly removed our clothes, then Damien made love to me.

Damien took his time with me, being gentle. I know Damien worries, but it felt right. He placed soft kisses along my jawline, moving to my neck as he continued making love to me.

Damien slid his hands into mine, interlocking our fingers as we continued. I couldn't imagine making love to anyone except with Damien. He made me feel so loved.

After we finished, I laid there on Damien's stomach. My chin laid on the back of my hands as I looked up at Damien. He looked down at me, running his fingers through my hair.

"Do you feel better?" I asked.

"Yes," Damien whispered.

"I'm not a doll. I will not shatter," I said.

"I know, but you're the first woman who I cared more about than myself. I never want to disappoint you," Damien said.

"You will never disappoint me as long as you love me with a pure heart, which you have," I replied.