A conversation

Belle

I stood in the workshop and thought about Damien's offer. I looked at the music boxes.

"Do you know why I make music boxes?" Dad asked.

I turned to see Dad enter the workshop. He walked over to a music box and pulled it off the shelf. I watched Dad twist the crank on the bottom of the box. He set it down on the workbench and lifted the lid. It played a medley.

"When I was younger, I didn't know what I was good at in my life. Most boys in school had their life planned out, but I didn't. Then one day, I picked up a piece of wood and started carving it. I enjoyed working with wood and made a box, but the box was missing something. My mom gave me this metal piece from a jewelry box when the box broke, but the metal piece played. I put it into the box I created and made my first music box," Dad explained.

I sat down on a stool as I listened to Dad.

"After creating the music box, I received an offer for it. I sold it, then made another box. It wasn't until I met your mother who suggested I sell the music boxes to people. Your mom had faith in my creations, which in turn made her have faith in me. It's the same way with you and Damien," Dad told me.

I furrowed my brows. "Damien asked for me to move in with him, but I said that I couldn't leave you," I said.

"Why not?" Dad asked.

"If I leave, then it will leave you alone. I hate the thought of you living alone," I answered.

"Belle, I understand that you don't want to leave me, but you need not worry about me. When I met Damien the first time, it shocked me, seeing him as a beast. Damien has a chance to hurt me, but he didn't. Instead, he helped me. I know why Damien took the unfinished music box," Dad told me.

"Why?" I asked with curiosity.

"Because the music box was incomplete like Damien. Most people would view the music box as junk, but Damien didn't. He saw it as unique. I don't think the right people cared about Damien, which affected him deeply," Dad explained.

"It's funny when I first met Damien was at a party; then I forgot who he was. When I met Damien as the beast, I passed out because he startled me, but he never frightened me," I said.

"Why do you think that is?" Dad asked.

"I knew deep down, Damien wouldn't hurt me. There was something about Damien that made me feel safe with him. It's like I knew no matter what, I need not worry," I answered, smiling.

"Because sometimes it takes the love of one person to make us realize that we can be the person it destines us. Belle, go to Damien. Let him love you, the only way he knows how with his heart," Dad told me.

I attempted to protest, but Dad raised his hand to stop me. It's no use arguing with Dad. He would tell me to go and live my life.

I got off the stool, kissed Dad's cheek, then went and grabbed my cape. I left the house and made my way to the old mansion. I opened the door to see Damien coming out of the library, looking at a book.

I walked over to Damien and threw my arms around his neck as he dropped the book. Then I crashed my lips into his. Damien pulled me close to him as he kissed me back.

We pulled back from each other.

"Not that I'm not happy to see you, which I am, but what do I owe to this visit?" Damien asked me curiously.

I looked into Damien's amber eyes. "I thought about your offer, and after talking to my dad, I accept," I said.

Damien looked at me sideways as his lips curled into a smile. I couldn't help but smile.