Chapter 10

Tell Onyx to stay low to the ground, I commanded Axel.

She should run and get away from the gas, Axel argued.

Do not argue with your Luna. She needs to stay here so I can make sure no one takes her or kills her once she leaves my sight, I spoke resolutely, and he followed my order. Thane would kill me if anything happened to his mate, and the only way I could ensure her safety was if I had her in my line of sight.

Sure enough, soon ten masked men were surrounding us. I threw the knife I summoned into one of them, and it pierced his heart. Instantaneously dead.

I summoned another one and threw it into a man's neck, which led to blood spurting everywhere. Meanwhile, Axel transformed his fist into titanium and began to punch out some of the men, but I could feel through the pack bond that the wolfsbane was seriously weakening him. My suspicions were confirmed when he fell to his knees, and I was mildly concerned by his shallow breathing and his skin blistering.

Despite the fact that I had stopped ingesting wolfsbane once I learned that it was contributing to my infertility, I must have still had leftover resistance due to consuming it for years, because the gas was only mildly irritating, making me feel slightly nauseous and dizzy, but not debilitatingly so.

Onyx was laying flat on the ground, but I could see that she was in pain. Her lack of status in a pack as well as general strength made the wolfsbane have a much more lethal impact. I knew I had to kill the rest of the men fast before there were any long term effects of it.

I summoned a sword and used it to decapitate the remaining of the men, who seemed to be weakened due to the wolfsbane, despite their masks. Their muscles must have began to atrophy from the toxic chemicals.

I looked to Onyx and saw blood dripping out of her eyes and Axel, whose nose was bleeding.

I was going to go get Onyx, but five more men appeared, all of whom were less weakened by the wolfsbane from not being exposed to it for as long. Even I could feel myself wanting to succumb to unconsciousness.

I used knives to kill four of the men before they could even react, but the fifth man was ready for my assault and could dodge my knives. I had the feeling that my aim was suffering due to my head spinning.

The man had one a backpack with some kind of nozzle. Ah, the one who was spraying the wolfsbane gas. I would make his death painful.

He approached me as I swayed, and when he was about to grab me, I used the proximity to plunge my hand into his chest and rip his heart out.

I tossed it to the side as his body crumpled, and wiped the blood off of my hands before I picked Onyx up and rushed her away until we were far from the gas. She inhaled the clean air deeply, a good sign. I dropped her somewhat gently so I could get Axel.

I sprinted into the fog to get Axel, whose nose and ears were gushing blood. I helped him up, and put his arm around my shoulder so he could put his weight on me.

We slowly but surely walked away from the gas were Onyx was still on the ground. Her breathing was raspy and I could hear the lung damage.

I squatted next to Onyx and jerked her chin up to look at me. I examined her eyes and face, and nothing looked too worrisome. Even her eyes had stopped bleeding.

Her hands however, were covered in blisters. Nothing too deadly, but I was sure Thane would nag me about it.

"Ares," Onyx's raspy voice spoke. "Your nose."

I furrowed my eyebrows and brought my hand up to my nose, where I felt the familiar thick wetness of blood.

I shrugged it off, and Axel seemed to be doing fine too. "We have to go back and tell Cain and Thane," Axel insisted.