Chapter 9

WARNING: THIS IS THE THIRD CHAPTER I HAVE POSTED TODAY FOR LETHAL. PLEASE READ THE PREVIOUS TWO CHAPTERS BEFORE PROCEEDING.

I nodded once at Onyx, who gave Cain and I a nervous smile. I had never seen someone so on-edge and anxious for no reason. I hadn't even thrown a knife at her yet.

I thought the pairing of Thane and Onyx as mates was an interesting choice on the Moon Goddess' part, although I could see how they would work well together. Thane is always eerily calm while his mate looks like an erratic, frightened little mouse that would get spooked by a pen dropping. I didn't fail to notice that she wouldn't look Cain in the eyes.

Cain stretched his arm out to shake Onyx's hand, and her electric blue eyes got so big I was halfway expecting them to fall out of her head. She timidly shook Cain's hand, and I don't think anyone failed to notice her hand trembling before Cain's larger one engulfed hers. She was in a room of Alphas, after all.

Onyx pulled away, cowering slightly back into Thane. Annnnnnnd this was why they were perfect soulmates. Thane wrapped his arm tighter around her and I noticed the way her tension almost melted off of her as she relaxed into him. Interesting, indeed.

You and Thane should go talk about guy stuff while Onyx and I go for a walk, I told Cain via mindlink.

Why do you need to talk to Thane's mate alone? Cain questioned suspiciously.

I rolled my eyes at him. For girl stuff. We won't leave the territory.

Cain narrowed his eyes at me, and I batted my eyelashes innocently. I swear I wasn't up to any trouble, nor was I even scheming, for that matter.

Finally, he sighed. "Thane, it appears my mate wants to go for a walk with your female to talk. Alone."

It sounded like Cain was wanting Thane to protest, but of course Thane merely shrugged. "That sounds good to me. Onyx, would you like that?"

The girl's eyes widened once more, and she looked like she would rather do anything besides that. "No guards?" I heard her softly ask Thane. Her voice was like warm honey.

Thane shook his head, one corner of his mouth turning up into a small smile. "You won't need them, love." He matched her soft tone, despite the fact that I'm sure he knew that Cain and I could hear them. It's an Alpha thing.

He was so delicate with her, like she was made of china. It was truly incredible to see. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that all Alphas were rough with their mates, but I have seen Thane angry, and the contrast was astounding.

Thane affectionately tweaked her nose and gave her a little push towards me. She gave me a small smile, but I could see that she struggled to look me in the eyes. I was hoping that she could guide most of the conversation so I could just communicate through typing on a phone, but I could see that she was far too shy for that.

On second thought, Axel should come with us. I have a feeling I'll need an interpreter, I told Cain. He nodded, and I could see hints of relief that we would have at least one guard.

"Axel, you're going with the females," Cain commanded, and Axel nodded, even though I was sure he was bummed he wouldn't be with Thane. They had a bromance thing going on.

Onyx turned to look at Thane one last time before we left, and he gave her an encouraging smile. She turned around back towards Axel and I. Her eyes were slightly downcast.

I gave Cain a kiss before we left, and I could tell it made him hesitant to let me go.

Be good, He grumbled.