Chapter 35

Cain's face twisted in confusion. "What the hell are you taking about, Thane?"

"Onyx," I can hear him through the phone, and Cain puts him on speaker, though its unnecessary. "She's missing. You're the only one with motivation to take her."

"Don't be stupid, Thane," Cain growls. "I didn't take your fucking mate."

Thane is silent for a minute. Surely, he knew how ridiculous the accusation was. Regardless of what happened that night, Cain wouldn't take someone's mate always from him, especially not Thane's, no matter how angry he was. I would, but that isn't Cain's style.

"Put Ares on," He demands, and Cain looks at me questioningly.

"What the hell do you want, traitor?" I snarl.

"What did you do to her?" He asks, his voice dangerously calm.

"I didn't touch your stupid little mate. I have enough dumbass rogues to kill as it is," I roll my eyes, and Thane growls.

"This isn't a fucking joke, Ares!" He yells, and I can hear something crashing on his end, like he threw or hit something.

"No, but it sure is hilarious," I laugh, and Cain gives me a warning look. "Maybe she just left you, dear Thane. I hear women have issues with backstabbers, maybe she realized she wants a wolf and not a snake for a mate."

Thane inhales deeply, trying to calm himself, probably knowing that I'm trying to piss him off. "Cain," Thane appeals calmly. "It wasn't too long ago that I looked for and returned your mate to you, without any questions asked."

"That was before you made decisions that could have led to my mate's death," Cain says, just as calm, but his words are dripping in venom. "My mate who went through hell, alone, just to help you. We don't owe you anything. I'd say good luck finding your mate, but I wouldn't mean it."

Thane tries to respond, but Cain hangs up, and turns his phone off. He picks me up, placing me back into bed, but still holding me in his arms. "Who do you think took her?" I ask.

Cain pauses before answering. "I'm not sure. Thane told me before that she had been kidnapped, but was returned soon after. It's probably the same person."

"Why would someone kidnap her just to immediately return her?" I asked in confusion, and Cain shrugs.

"I'm not sure, pup. They may return her again, so I'm not too concerned with the matter. It's Thane's mate, and therefore Thane's problem," Cain says his tone clipped.

We lay in silence, but he's not asleep yet. "You knew how bad the Transformation was for me?" I ask, and he nods slowly. "You still let me stay in Blue Moon?"

Cain exhales. "Of course I knew, Ares. I could feel your terror through the bond, and I'm sure you had even blocked most of it from me, but it was a lot."

"Why?" I whisper in confusion. "Why not have dragged me back to Blood Lake?"

Cain pauses. "A few reasons. For one, my trust in Thane was misplaced. He had a rough Transformation, I thought he would have been able to help you better than I could have. But most of all... I wanted you to make your own decision. You're an Alpha now, you don't need me telling you what to do. You're responsible for an entire pack now, I trust that you will do what you think is best. In case if it's something completely idiotic," Cain adds, and I snort. "Then I won't hesitate to lock you up again."

I laugh and relax against him. Despite his flaws, he was perfect for me. He understood that I need autonomy, but also knows that I'm far too reckless to be allowed to follow all of my urges, and need to be stopped.