Chapter 7

I crouched down as I held my hands out in front of me for the small child to punch.

His little fists balled up, and then hit my palms. He was stronger than other kids his age, but that was to be expected when someone is training to be Alpha someday.

"Did I hurt you, mom?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowing in concern.

I smiled as I shook my head. It would be years before he was strong enough to do any real damage, but I knew that someday he would be the strongest Alpha in the world, if his lineage had anything to do with it.

"Dad says that it hurts when I punch him," The pup pointed out, and I rolled my eyes. Cain always made sure to boost his son's confidence, even if it meant pretending to be hurt by a four year old's weak punches.

"It does hurt," Cain called out from a few feet away. He tended to fall back when I was training the pup, as he knew that I was much more qualified than he.

The pup beamed at me. "See, mom? Told ya. Watch me fight him!"

I laughed at their antics, but I couldn't deny that my heart warmed when Cain pretended to fall to the ground when our son kicked his ankle.

Suddenly, Cain grabbed the pup's ankle and pulled him to the ground. The boy cried out as his head hit the ground, blood soon pouring after it.

To my surprise, instead of comforting the pup. Cain snarled and grabbed him by the throat. The child cried out and choked. I was too stunned to move, so I watched in sheer terror.

When the pup's eyes rolled to the back of his head and I could no longer hear his heart beat, Cain tossed his body to the side like a rag doll.

My vocal chords also seemed to be frozen, and I couldn't even screen in horror. Cain grinned. "You should never f**k with an Alpha. Isn't that right, Ares?"

I gasped as I awoke, and snarled when I saw that it was Cain who was shaking me awake. I wound my fist back and punched, hitting him square in the jaw.

Cain clutched his jaw and jerked it back into place with a quick snap. "Ares, calm down. You were dreaming. It was a dream."

I winced as I realized that I had just punched my poor mate who was just trying to save me from yet another nightmare. Sorry, I mindlinked him.

He smiled weakly. "I suppose I don't need to ask whether it was me or him?"

I cringed as I recalled the way he smiled after he strangled our nonexistent child. I need to leave, I told him, getting out of our bed.

Frowning, Cain objected. "You're not going anywhere. It's five in the morning."

I'm going out of our territory. I need to kill something, I snarled at him as I put on leggings, boots, a long sleeve shirt, and my black cloak.

"Then I'm coming," Cain invited himself as he got out of bed.

No. I'll take Axel and Lucas if I must, but you can't come, I spoke directly, even though I knew my words wounded him.

His eyes filled with despair, but he nodded. "Very well. Mindlink them to meet you here so I can ensure that they are going with you and you're not sneaking off alone."

I rolled my eyes. He knew me too well. I did as he said and mindlinked them to meet me here to be my hunting babysitters. Lucas professionally agreed, and Axel complained about the early hours before eventually agreeing to come immediately when I threatened to tell Cain on him.