Prologue

Cain watches as I kick the sternum of a wolf, shattering it instantly. I quickly send two knives into both of his eyes, and his pained howls are so loud I almost wince at the sound. Unfortunately for him, he's still not dead yet. I would love to prolong his agony, but I have things to attend to. He was curled into a ball on the ground, soaking it with his tears. I gently place my hands on both sides of his head, and twist it hard and fast, severing the spine in his neck. Dead.

"You're setting a bad example, pup," Cain chastised me, but his eyes were glowing with admiration, and his mouth was working hard to suppress a smile.

I shrugged. "He needs to learn how to neutralize threats. God knows there are too many of those around here."

Cain rolled his eyes, and shifted his attention on the pup he was holding. "Luckily, he's too young to pick up on your violent habits."

I shrugged. "You're lucky he's only a few months old. When he's three I'm going to teach him how to wield knives."

As if the pup understood me, he cooed in Cain's arms. "See, Cain? He is my son," I smiled as I reached for the baby. He was swaddled in fur, Cain was careful to make sure that the pup was never cold in the harsh Blood Lake terrain. Always so protective of his family.

I rocked the pup gently, and his grey eyes soon closed as sleep overtook him. I pushed a stray black curl out of his face, as I had done to his father many times before.

"I can't believe we made that," Cain stared in adoration at the pup in my arms.

"Really? You can't believe that? You do understand how babies are made, right?" I teased him.

Cain growled playfully as he started stalking towards me, making me laugh out loud. I would never get tired of messing with him.

When I thought he was going to wrap his arms around me, I was surprised to see that he was instead reaching for the pup. God, he loved that thing.

When he made contact with the pup, I realized that he wasn't holding him anymore. I looked down at the swaddled baby, and noticed red dripping down him. His eyes were closed.

I gasped as I unwrapped the fur around him, and screamed when I saw a knife embedded in his heart. Panic coated my heart as I looked at Cain, not understanding why he stabbed our son.

He grinned evilly at me. Suddenly, it wasn't my mate standing in front of me, but rather, Alpha Wilson.

"I will take anything or anyone away from you that makes you happy. Never forget that, daughter," he snarled the last word at me in contempt.

As he always did, he disappeared immediately after killing my pup.

The snow by my feet was melted by a combination of the tears and blood that swirled around me.