Chapter 64

I'm not sure how long I stay like that, holding Thane's cold corpse in my arms, but the cacophony of wolves clashing all around us dies down as Iron Claw wolves surrender due to the death of their Alpha.

Killian puts his hand on my shoulder. "Ares..." His voice is gentle, strained.

"Don't," I say, my voice hollow.

Thane was died. He died for me.

This was all my fault.

Axel and Lucas walk up, covered in blood. Axel looks at Thane in despair, his throat bobbing.

"Luna," Lucas says quietly. "What do you want us to do next?"

Even after Thane's death, the world still rotates on it's axis like nothing happened.

The battlefield is quiet. I look around and see bloody corpses everywhere, blood painting the ground red. Iron Claw wolves are on their knees in complete submission as Blood Lake warriors hold knives to their throats, waiting for an order.

"Where is the Beta of Iron Claw?" I ask stoically. Even after having my heart shattered into a billion pieces, still, I must hold everything together as I fall apart.

"Dead," Axel answers, his eyes still not leaving Thane's face. "You killed him during battle."

"The Gamma?"

"Dead," Killian says softly. "He was killed by..." His voice trails off.

"Find a fucking ranked wolf in Iron Claw that hasn't been killed," I order, and Lucas and Axel nod once before turning away.

And then I remember that the Alpha of Blue Moon is dead. He never had an heir. Never got the chance.

"Axel," I call out, and he turns to face me. "Find Leo. He's about to go through the Transformation. Make sure he isn't alone for it. Bring the Gamma and Delta to him."

Axel nods in understanding. I had no doubt that Leo already knew Thane was dead, felt their bond crumble in an instant. He wouldn't go through the Transformation alone, not like Thane had to.

"Ares, the eclipse..." Killian says hesitantly. "We don't have much time left."

Still, the world keeps on spinning while I stay frozen in place.

I don't move.

Not until Lucas returns, holding a badly beaten male by the ear. "Luna, this is the Delta of Iron Claw."

I look at Thane's face one last time. I would give anything to see his cocky smirk one last time.

I put Thane gently on the ground, finally pulling my hand out of the wound. I'm covered in his blood. And there's so much of it.

I stand up, walking slowly to the Delta of Iron Claw, who looks at me in terror. "You will pledge your allegiance for allowing you and what remains of your pack to live."

The wolf nods desperately. "Yes, Luna," He says, even though it wasn't a question. "I swear my loyalty to Blood Lake and Blood Lake alone."

"No," I say, my voice harsh. "To Blood Lake, Crimson Shadow, and Blue Moon."

His eyes widen. "I swear my loyalty to Blood Lake, Crimson Shadow, and Blue Moon. Iron Claw will never take arms against them again."

He groans in pain, and I see his claws and canines descending.

"You're about to become the Alpha," I tell him, my voice apathetic. "It's going to hurt."

He shifts into his wolf, and back into human form. "Somebody keep an eye on him. Make sure he doesn't kill anyone," I say to whoever may be listening, and some of the Blood Lake warriors nod and surround him.