Chapter 24: Forgiveness?

It had been a week since Madison and Jeff had their argument.  Madison knew two things. One, she hated arguments; and two,  she needed to go to Artie Vike's to apologize to Jeff.

     The weather was starting to get cold, considering that it was the middle of September.  Instead of riding her bike to his shop,  which she loved doing, she drove there in her car.  If Madison could get somewhere without her car, then she rode her bicycle.

     After a couple of street lights and turns, Madison arrived at the shop.  There were few people, two to be exact, lined up for something to eat.  He gave a lady her orange water ice and then a child his vanilla soft serve ice cream. After that, he put a closed sign on the window and turned off the sign that shined brightly on the parking lot and the tiny building.  It got very dark, and dull.  Almost depressing.

     She got out of her car and walked over to the window and knocked on it gently, trying not to look like she was mad. She was not anyway. There was no answer and light turned off inside.  Madison decided to knock again, just a little harder this time.  Suddenly, the window vigorously opened.  Jeff was standing there. He was bundled up in a red winter coat and had on a blue hat with a little ball on the top.  With a concerning look on his face, he started to speak. “I'm very, very sorry about yesterday. I apologize for my behavior and I hope you can forgive me.  If you don't, I completely understand."

     Madison was going to say she was sorry, but Jeff already apologized to her; and for some awkward reason, Madison felt it was better that she accepted his apology and then the whole mess would be over. 

     She accepted Jeff's apology and he invited Madison to his house for dinner, although it was nine o'clock at night and they both already had dinner. 

     They both left their cars in the parking lot, and bundled up in their coats, walked to Jeff's house together, hand in hand, for that dinner.