Chapter 7: Meet Jeff, Part 2

"Who's this lady?" asked the little girl.

  "Grace, this is my friend Madison," Jeff told her. He patted Grace's head.

  "Hi Madison. I'm four." Grace looked up at Madison.

  "And I'm thirty-five," Madison told Grace.

  "Really?" asked Jeff.

  "Shut up!" yelled Madison.

  "Anyway," Jeff said, "let's go inside and talk and I'll introduce you to everyone!"

  Everyone? thought Madison, Wow! She entered his home and found it to be quite nice for a guy like Jeff.

  "Sit down on the couch, Madison. You've already met Grace." He went into the kitchen. He came out with a dog and another little girl. "This is Nicole," he pointed to her, "and this is the other man of the house, Rover!"

  "Wow,"  replied Madison. She was shocked.

  "That's it: Wow?" He flashed a smile. "Anyway," he turned to Lily, Grace, and Rover, "you guys go watch SpongeBob in my room and I'll give you girls your chocolate milk in awhile."

  "Okay Daddy."

  "Okay Daddy."

  "Woof!"

  All of them went into his bedroom, leaving Madison and Jeff alone in the living room.

  Madison heard a loud noise. It was Jeff sneezing. "Bless you, Jeff."

  She looked at him blowing his nose. Can I really tell him now? When he's sick? she asked herself. "So..."

  "Okay. I'll answer all of your questions. Yes, those are my two daughters and yes, they do call me "daddy." I had a girlfriend and we dated for seven years before we had them. We were even going to get married. Then when the girls, who are the same age, were one, she ran out one day claiming to get milk and never came back. I was sad for awhile, but then I got over it. I guess we weren't meant to be, but that's okay. I'll find someone better. Someone who won't run out on their one-year-olds."

  Now I can't yell at him! Not after that sad story! I even feel bad for him! "Wow Jeff. I am so sorry about her," she blurted out.

  Jeff was on the rug next to her, but then he moved onto the couch Madison was sitting on. He smiled at her and touched her arm. "Thank you, Madison. You're very kind." So, why'd you come over here? Did you want to ask me something?"

  "Oh, I bet you're wondering how I know your  name and your address. You never told me those things."

  Jeff thought for a minute. He sneezed and walked into the kitchen. Three minutes later he came back with two cups of coffee and handed one to Madison. "I'm cold," he told her. "I am wondering, but don't tell me. Now seriously, I know you hate me. There has to be a reason for this visit."

  "Don't be silly. I don't hate you," she lied.

  Jeff made a face with his eyes and lips that called out "you hate me!"

  "OK. Maybe a little," she admitted. "I just wanted to see what your house looks like. It's nice for a guy like you."

  "For a guy like me?" Jeff asked. "Well, I'll take that as a compliment. Anyway, would you like to go on a little trip with me tomorrow?"

  Madison considered this. Did she really want to go on his trip just because she felt bad for him? Maybe.

  "So..." Jeff was becoming excited.

  "Are you sure you're over your girlfriend? Do you really want to start something with me?" she asked him.

  "Yes. I told you I'll find someone better. I want that someone-better to be you, Madison," Jeff said.

  Madison started to get mushy. She still want ready to tell him why she kept rejecting him, because she still wasn't ready to date yet. "Fine. I'll go on your trip with you tomorrow. But I'm not starting any relationship with you." She looked into his happy eyes.

  "Not yet?" Jeff smiled. "That's something." He let out a big sneeze and when he removed the tissue from his face, there was goo all over it. He ignored it. "Come to Artie Vikes tomorrow at 5pm. Don't be late."

  Madison didn't know where they were going on the trip, but she was only partially excited about it.