Chapter 19: One Less Friend, Part 1

It was a terrible day. Rain was pouring from the sky and it was dark outside. Mr. Sunshine decided not to come out. Therefore, Jeff had no other choice to close his shop for the day. It was also a terrible day for a certain someone to hear about another death.

   However, Madison and Jeff were enjoying their day together at Madison's house. Jeff didn't have to worry about his children since he sent them to his neighbors house. It was one of those special times where they could both see each other alone.

  They were both watching television on the leather couch while sipping some coffee. Jeff had wrapped his right arm around Madison's shoulders and she didn't do anything. In fact, she smiled and held Jeff's hand. Things were going great with them. They were getting serious too, until the telephone interrupted their moment.

  Madison walked over to the phone and picked up the receiver, putting it to her ear. She didn't even have to give a friendly greeting. The man went right on with his point and Madison didn't say a single word. After the man was finished and said goodbye, she still held the receiver to her ear, absolutely shocked. It was very unexpected and it ruined her day.

   Madison's face grew red with anger and disappointment. Her face almost looked like a tomato. She picked up the entire telephone set and threw it at the wall with all her might. Her eyes teared up and she ran over to Jeff with her arms extended, wanting a hug and some comfort.

  Jeff stood up and hugged Madison. He could feel her tears dripping down on his back, but he didn't mind and didn't bother to wipe them off. Jeff knew not to ask about the phone call; he knew that it would just make her more upset. He honestly didn't want to know either. All Jeff knew was that Madison needed someone in her life to get her through all of these deaths and hard times. He planned to be that someone.

   “Thank you Jeff for comforting me. The only other person that would do this was my husband. My family lives far away and I haven't seem them in awhile. I mean I could visit them..."

  Jeff interrupted Madison. “I know, I know. Anyway, I'm here for you and you know it."

   “I do?" asked Madison, a little confused.

   “Yes," Jeff told her. He removed his arms from her and put his hands on her cheeks. “I love you Madison."

   “Aw, Jeff, that's very sweet." She smiled at him. “I don't love you though," Madison said to Jeff.

TO BE CONTINUED...