Forty-Six: Changes

Chapter Forty-six: Changes

A/N: um hey guys so u know how there's that HUGE FRIGGIN SNOW STORM IN WESTERN NEW YORK um ya hey i'm in it so ya i've been writing a lot these past 4 days bc i can't get out of my house everyone is literally trapped under six feet of snow sos :-))) ps this one is kinda short because i didn't want to start a whole new scene until the next chapter, which i'm starting immediately :)

__________
Song of the chapter:
Night Changes by One Direction (UM!!!!!!!!!! FOUR!!!! IS!!!!!!!! SO!!!!! GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
__________

Saying that things got better after that would have been a lie. Cutting Brielle out of my life was probably good for me, but it didn't seem like it. She must have told her thousands of friends about what I said (of course, sparing the details of what she had said to me so she looked like the victim) because none of them talked to me anymore. Though I wasn't a fan of any of them, it was weird without them always there. They somewhat grew on me after a while. Then again, I'd rather be alone than with people I didn't even know or like.

It was starting to get colder. I wasn't only referring to the weather, but to my heart. As the temperatures dropped and the snow began to fall, so did my normal kindhearted nature and compassion for those I loved. I saw myself not caring anymore. It wasn't that I didn't want to care because I did, I just couldn't find the energy within myself to do so. I had no reason to care about anything without my friends, without Natalie, and without my mother. I found that I was growing more distant with her after Natalie's departure. She tried to get me to talk about it and open up to her, but I didn't want any of it. Talking about her physically hurt me and I couldn't stand knowing that I could never have her again. I'd have been lucky if I was even allowed to talk to her. But of course, she made it very clear that she didn't want anything to do with me anymore. And as much as I wanted to disagree with her, I knew she was right. Every time we were together, things went wrong. They went so wrong and they hurt us both deeply. I couldn't let her be sad anymore.

The night before Thanksgiving, I was on my way home from school. It was snowing a bit, leaving only three inches of snow on the ground. Within the next couple of hours, we were supposed to accumulate at least four more inches. It wasn't going to be enough for a snow day, but it didn't matter. I was skipping school the following day anyways.

In Canada, they celebrated Thanksgiving on a different day. I couldn't remember when, but it was much before when we celebrated it back in New York. We just stuck with our traditional customs and family traditions and celebrated it on the last Thursday of November, just like any other American family. My mom wanted to keep everything as normal as she could. Sudden changes would only make things worse for her and for me. We couldn't bear going through another drastic difference in our lives. I think we had enough change for three lifetimes.

My day at school was just as bland as usual. I went to all of my extremely difficult classes, was invited to sit at a girl's lunch table (but I politely declined), studied for some tests, received a nice blonde girl's number (her name was Samantha and she was in my College Chemistry class), and avoioded Brielle and her many friends at all costs. It was nothing out of the ordinary.

As I slowly and carefully pulled into my driveway in order not to slide on the icy road, I noticed Mark was outside going to his car. It had been a little while since I'd seen him. He didn't come home much anymore because he was trying to keep himself busy at the station. I was sure that Natalie was on his mind on a daily basis as well. He probably missed having her sarcasm around the house. I knew I did.

The last time I spoke to Mark was that day at the hospital. I couldn't find anything else to say to him because I wasn't sure if he understood what my motives were. But then a few weeks after the hospital incident, I saw him getting into his car to go off to work and he gave me a polite nod. I had a feeling he wasn't mad at me, but thankful. He may have been the only one who comprehended what I was trying to do for Natalie. He knew that I made the decision for her to go to treatment a lot easier.