Eight: The Similarities

__________
Song of the chapter:
No One's Gonna Love You by Band Of Horses
__________

I had no idea why I was there. It was something I never imagined myself doing. Not ever.

I'm really bored and there's nothing to do, I tried to tell myself. Plus, it's not like my magazine will be coming any time soon. It's been about two weeks. Honestly, it's time to give up on that. Anyways, the only reason why I'm here is because I'm bored. I swear. I swear, I swear, I swear.

Nervously, I knocked on the door and brought my hand behind my back with the other one. I bit my lower lip and allowed my eyes to wander like I did the night before, observing the front of the house in a different light. Everything was the same other than the fact that the twinkling lights were off considering it was the afternoon. The house was still one of the prettiest houses I'd ever seen. So different from all of the rest but still managed to fit in with its surroundings. If only it was in a different place . . .

The door opened, interrupting my thoughts. I looked up, my eyes meeting none other than Justin's. As odd as it may have seemed, he was the exact person I was hoping to see. I couldn't help but realize how much fun I had with him and Avalanna. And then there was that talk we had afterward that finally helped me understand how good of a person Justin was. He wasn't like the rest of the people in Stratford. He actually had a heart and cared about other people over himself.

That's the kind of person I want to be around, if I have to be around anyone at all, of course.

Instead of giving me a confused look like I'd expected, he greeted me with a soft, but warm smile. "Hey," he breathed, locking his eyes onto mine.

I was hoping to God that I could get rid of that nasty exterior and show him who I really was. He was the only person in our stupid neighborhood who even dared to give me a chance, so why not give him one? I was not planning on letting him in on every little part of my life. I was never, ever going to do that, actually. I was just hoping to be nice to him and maybe, just maybe, if I played my cards right, I might have actually had something close to a friend.

"Hi," I sighed, a smile forming on my lips in the process. He slowly slipped his hands into his pockets, keeping his eyes on me. "I was just wondering if, um," I began, my voice trailing off.

Damn, I am so bad at this. This is so out of my element and I want to slap myself for even coming here.

Maybe if I start over . . .

"I was thinking, maybe--"

Nope. Nothing. Nothing would come out. I couldn't ask him without sounding too eager or too casual. I wanted to get it right in the middle. Not in a way that said that I had feelings for him, because I didn't. Sure, he was cute-- extremely cute, actually, but I barely knew him and I didn't do relationships.

He smiled softly and a quiet laugh departed his lips. I scrunched my forehead down, fully aware of why he was laughing but of course, my not-so-friendly appearance decided to take over.

"Why are you laughing?" I growled, folding my arms over my chest defensively.

He shook his head, still smiling. "I'm not laughing."

I scowled at him. "Whatever. Just-- just forget it," I spun around on my heels and started to storm away.

His hand took hold of my right wrist and pulled me back. "Seriously! I'm not laughing at you!" Just a smile was left on his lips-- a very subtle one, but it was there.