Thirteen: "I like you."

__________
Song of the chapter:
Elastic Heart by Sia
__________

"Yep, like that," I smiled, watching Justin strum his guitar as if he was a professional. By the way he played, he should've been. He was amazing at it. His back was leaned up against the trunk of the tree that stood firmly in the woods, providing shade from the blistering sun above.

Most of my inspiration for songs came from there since it was so quiet and peaceful. No one could bother me besides maybe the occasional chipmunk scurrying up a tree or the pesky bugs that would buzz around when it was especially hot, but that day, they weren't all that bad. Maybe because I had someone else with me.

Earlier, Justin was playing something on his guitar that sounded perfect with the song I had. Like I said, I didn't have any music to go along with it yet, so when he played something after I told him the only lyrics I had, I knew it was what I wanted.

"And you need a tune to go along with it?" he asked, resting his fingers on the strings and looking into my eyes studiously.

Looking off in the distance, I nodded.

"Well, how about something like this?" he questioned, positioning his fingers in the correct positions on his guitar. He began strumming again and then he started to sing.

When he did, I swore my attention jolted up to him within a split second. Never once did I think that his voice would sound nearly that incredible. It was almost like it wasn't even him doing it. Almost as if there was a recording of someone singing and he was just lip syncing along with it. And the way he was so concentrated and into what he was doing was astounding.

He finished singing the set of lyrics I had written sooner than I had hoped, leaving me to silently beg for more.

"How's that?" he looked back up at me, hanging his arm over the body of the guitar.

Swallowing hard, I felt a blush form in my cheeks when I realized I hadn't said anything right away. "Uh, it sounds great. Really-- it's great."

"Cool," he replied. By the way he said it, I could sense a smile on his face.

God, what is wrong with me? Why am I all flustered and spastic? Jesus Christ.

"You try," he declared, pushing the notebook towards me. Bringing my attention back up to him, I saw that he had a slight twinkle in his eye that only clarified what he actually wanted me to do. He wanted me to sing in front of him. Out loud.

Sure, I sang when I was in the car with him, but that was different. The radio drowned out my voice enough for me to be comfortable with it. He said he liked my voice, but that was when I had first met him. He was probably only trying to start a conversation or be nice.

Shaking my head, I looked to my left and shifted uncomfortably on the dry ground I was sitting on. "No, that's okay. My voice kind of hurts from-- I don't feel--"

"Natalie," Justin laughed, causing me to look back up at him. "Just try. I know you can sing."

I ran my tongue across my lips and closed my eyes, releasing an exhale. "I don't know, Justin. I--"

"Come on," he softly urged, seeing a smile tug at his lips when I looked at him again. "For me?"

"Fine," I mumbled in defeat. Nervously, I cleared my throat and took in a deep breath, keeping my eyes on my lap. He would be the first to hear my actual singing voice.

What if I'm really bad? I thought. What if I'm worse than I think?

I began to sing just like he did, remembering each and every note he hit and then doing it the same. I refused to make eye contact with him because it was bad enough that he'd convinced me to sing in front of him. I could only handle so much out of my comfort zone at once.