chapter twenty five

I take my place behind Marvel and in front of Cato. Glimmer stands at the front of the huge row of tributes, beauty and grace radiating off of her. Caesar calls out her name and with one last look back at the three remaining Career members, she takes to the stage.

Her interview is charming and sweet. The audience love and admire her, and it becomes clear she is a Capitol favourite. I take a small glance behind me up at Cato and see him smiling up at the tv screens which are zoomed in very close on Glimmer's joyful face.

I turn back around to face the front. My neutral expression is replaced with a sour one as I glare back up at the screens. Glimmers interview comes to an end and she sashays off of the opposite end of the stage, where you go after your interview.

Suddenly, Marvel's name blasts through the speakers. He straightens his tie before calmly making his way up the staircase leading to the stage.

Out of the four Careers, Marvel is the funny, relatable one. His interview certainly is memorable as both him and Caesar crack jokes which have the audience in hysterics.

Marvel exits the stage after a fun filled few minutes. I suddenly become aware that it's now my turn. And I intend on making the stage my own.

"And now from District Two, another volunteer! Please welcome...Clove!"
Without a moments hesitation, I pick up my dress and make my way up the stage stairs. As soon as I make it round the curtain, stage lights find me. The audience cheer. I maintain my easy smile as I make my way over to Caesar.

He holds his hand out for me to take, which I do, before he leads me over to the seats.
"It's marvellous to meet you, Clove!" He exclaims and I smile back at him.
"Caesar, the pleasure is all mine". I reply, tilting my head with a smile.

"So Clove, I have heard that you are quite facile with a knife". He says, pointing a finger at me.
I smirk back at him, nodding my head. "I'm the best".

He tilts his head, grinning at me. "Really".
I turn my head to nod in the direction of the curtain I just came out of. "I could kill you from clear across this stage".

This gains some gasps from the audience. I just told Caesar Flickerman that I could kill him.
That probably wasn't a good idea.

The audience then break out into cheers and applause which causes me to sigh in relief.
Caesar has an amused expression on his face.

"Well Clove, as you know, tonight is the Eve of the Hunger Games. Before you know it, you will be in the arena. You must be excited".
I smirk at him and then the audience.

"I'm incredibly excited, Caesar. I always get what I want, and what I want is 23 dead bodies and a crown on my head".
More cheers erupt from the audience. I coolly smile out at them before turning back to face Caesar.

" Well, well, well, we certainly have a fighter on our hands. Now, Clove, tell us," He shifts in his seat and gives me an amused look, "Is there a special somebody back home?"

Taken aback by the question, I stay silent for a moment and look out at the audience as they cheer, awaiting my response. After a few seconds, I smile and turn my head in Caesar's direction. "Actually, there is".

His face breaks out into a grin as the audience scream. "Now, is that so? Is there anything you'd like to say to that person?"

I turn to look at the camera with an easy smile. "I'll see you soon, Adler".

The crowd breaks into an even louder applause at the mention of his name. Caesar gasps from beside me. I glance up at the three huge screens that show what is being aired. A close up of my face is on each one, a calm look on my face when the inside of my mind is anything but. Was saying his name a mistake?

"Is that Adler Branson, Victor of last years Games, by any chance?" Caesar asks after a few seconds. I only nod my head and the applause grows. Well, i'm certainly going to be the most memorable tribute after tonight.

"Well, this was unexpected". He responds while I just smile for the cameras. "Now Clove, before you head off into the arena, make us all one promise". The crowd quietens at his request. I tilt my head, not sure what to expect. "Anything".

"Promise us that you will go out there tomorrow, and give us some entertaining deaths with that knife of yours".

This is followed by members of the audience screaming out in satisfaction.
"Of course, Caesar. Get ready for some of the wildest deaths you have ever witnessed".
He nods with a grin before standing up and grabbing my hand, lifting it over our heads.
"Clove from District Two!"

I smile before the audience, saying my final farewell to Caesar and heading off the way both Glimmer and Marvel had gone.
Upon stepping off the stage, they walk over to greet me. "You did so well Clove!" Glimmer exclaims as Marvel grins. "They all love you".

I smile in gratitude before I hear Cato's name being yelled over the televisions. I turn on my heel to face the nearest tv just as Cato steps out before the audience.