chapter twelve

I stand a little distance away from my chariot. Cato looks at me confused, wondering why I stormed off. I mouth to him that I need a minute on my own.

Is this some kind of joke? I got shown up by District Twelve of all Districts? God, I wish I could just kill them now.

Whatever. It doesn't matter. I don't need sponsors to win The Hunger Games. I have enough raw skill to win, unlike Katniss. Being from Twelve, she has zero capabilities with weapons. This makes me smirk. She should be an easy kill.

However, one key component of Adler's power couple master plan was that we need the Capitol citizens to like us and, at the moment, it seems as though all their attention is directed towards Fire Girl.

Hopefully this doesn't change anything between us.

I walk back over to our chariot where the stylists have now arrived. Cato's stylist, Pandetta, is standing by Cato, removing the helmet from his head. When I arrive back, Candela takes off my helmet and she and Cato's stylist tell us what a great job we did.

I glance up at Cato as they fiddle with bits and pieces of our outfits. He is staring intently at something. I follow his line of view and see he is staring at Twelve. They are surrounded by their escort, their singular mentor and their stylists.

Haymitch, their mentor, glances over in our direction before ushering them both away into an elevator. Thank god they are gone. I glance around at the other chariots and notice a few past victors I recognise. Cashmere from One, Beetee from Three, Finnick from Four and Johanna from Seven. All of them adored in the Capitol.

"Come on, let's get you two to your floor! It's wonderful!" Allegra exclaims, pushing us towards the elevator. We all walk inside and are shot up two floors.

It's huge. Allegra shows us the dining hall, the lounge and last but not least, our bedrooms. Mine and Cato's rooms are pretty close to one another. I walk over to the door with my name on it and push it open.

It has a huge bed in the centre with a big wardrobe to the right. On the left is a huge glass window. Next to my bed, there is a bedside table with a remote on it. I pick up the remote and the glass window changes into an image of the woods. I get over the initial shock and I press it again and it is an ocean. In a room attached to the bedroom is a bathroom.

Allegra knocks on the door and says it is dinner time. I follow her out towards the table. Brutus, Enobaria, Candela and Cato's stylist are all sitting at the table when Allegra and I arrive.
A few minutes later after sitting, we are convinced Cato isn't going to show up.

"I'll go find out what he's doing". I push back my chair and go off in the direction of Cato's room. When I arrive, I knock lightly on the door.

"Who is it?" He questions. "Clove". I reply shortly. "Come in". He calls back and I push open the door. He is sitting on the edge of his bed, rubbing his eyes with his hands.

"Everything ok?" I ask, leaning against the door frame. He looks over at me, his eyes bloodshot. He smiles weakly at me.
"Everything is fine". He replies, standing up.

"Are you sure about that? Your face is telling a different story". I respond with slight concern.
"I'm just tired. I didn't get much sleep on the train". He tells me. I tilt my head, trying t determine whether that's the whole truth. After a few seconds, I decide that either way, it doesn't matter. "Okay. Dinner is out so you should probably come and eat". I tell him, letting the door fall behind me.

CATO'S POV

I lied. I lied to Clove. I've spent the last half hour sitting on my bed, crying about these Games, something I never, ever do. I've trained my whole life for them, to win them, to be a Victor, to spend the rest of my life with Clove.

But then it suddenly hit me. One of us is going to die, if not both of us. Actually, both of us won't die because I will make sure Clove gets out of here alive.

These will be my last few weeks with her before my death. And she will probably never know how I feel about her.

And i'll never get to tell her.